Skip counting practice online??

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

hmschooling
User

Skip counting practice online??

Postby hmschooling » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:04 am

Anyone know a good site that has online skip counting practice? :?:

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 am

This one, Number Challenge year 2, has racing the clock for skip counting by 2, 5's, and 10s. Smart Kiddies

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/month2month.htm
This one goes by grade level - scroll to the bottom for other grades.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Bob Hazen

skip counting practice

Postby Bob Hazen » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:03 am

For skip counting practice, what I recommend is not an online site but skip counting songs in which kids learn to sing the multiples of each number from 2 up through and including 10. For example, on one CD I recommend, the 4's song is about counting horses' legs. Each number has its own melody and lyrics, and the chorus for each song is the skip count sequence for that number - "4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24,..."

Check my website at www.AlgebraForKids.com and click on the link on the left for "Audio Tapes & CD's" (although the cassette tape versions are being discontinued). Both CD's that we carry are excellent quality.

It's vitally important for kids to learn how to skip count NOT just by 2's and 5's and 10's - but by each number from 2 up through and including 10. So on these skip count CD's, there is a song for the 2's, the next song is for the 3's, then the 4's, then the 5's, then the 6's, etc., up through the 9's and the 10's.

Both my sons grew up listening to these songs, and the songs helped them tremendously with number sense and ALL basic facts - but also with fractions, factors and greatest common factor, multiples and least common multiples and least common denominator, primes and composites, algebraic factoring, and mental math. Check it out.

A 7yo boy I worked with years ago had memorized all the songs, and one day when he asked what division was, when I explained that 28/4 meant "28 has how many 4's in it" - because he knew all the skip counting songs, after only a moment of thought said, "7." He understood division instantly because of the skip counting songs.

FYI: the skip count songs are great for kids up to about age 7 or 8. They don't even have to be introduced as "this is math" - just play the songs in the car or at lunch or bedtime, and kids will start singing the songs and picking up the mastery of skip counting. Rule of thumb: play the songs often enough that when YOU as the mom/dad go to bed at night, one of the songs is stuck in YOUR head - because then it's probably also stuck in your child's head, too - which is where it should be!

Best wishes!

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:30 am

Bob Hazen

skip counting

Postby Bob Hazen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Get a skip counting CD from my website (www.AlgebraForKids.com, then click the link to "audio tapes & CD's" to get either (or both) of the CD's we carry (one for the house, one for the car). Then just play them a lot for your child. That's the best place to start and comprises a bulk of the core of what kids need for that foundation that leads to mastery.

Bob Hazen

Return to “Math”