Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone here use Calvert or Univ. of Nebr. Highschool?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acheshire
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Does anyone here use Calvert or Univ. of Nebr. Highschool? Reply with quote

I used Calvert until i started high school. Then we started using University Of Nebraska's Div. Of High School Studies curriculum. Both were terriffic and I got a great education. I wasn't bored, that is for sure, and there was no question at all as to if I was on target for my age and grade. I was ahead of the game, and not because I was brilliant. If you are looking for suppliments to what you are using now, or looking for an entire program, I suggest checking them out.

Is anyone here already using either of them?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone here use Calvert or Univ. of Nebr. Highschoo Reply with quote

Calvert is quite comprehensive, but the later grades are in my opinion a bit dry. I did 8th grade myself, and my math papers got dinged if I didn't put them in an exact format, and there was a heavy emphasis on sentence diagramming - of the sort where it takes half a page to diagram one sentence. Some people find comfort in that sort of structure, but I just found it irritating. The earlier grades seem more creative.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln covers the material adequately. I can't really say I enjoyed their courses, but it might have been the subjects (Intro to Programming / Basic and Physical Science) rather than the material. So you boil several different liquids and use a thermometer to record the temperatures. Not surprisingly, water ends up at 212 degrees F, but you already knew that, so why are you doing that particular experiment?

Maybe there's just something wrong with my personality Smile
acheshire
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember it as being alright....you know considering that it WAS school. I was bored at times, but that was my general feeling about the entire concept of school. I wasn't bored with Calvert, but my mom, as my moderater/teacher, would find ways to make the boring parts more interesting. Most people are bored by the things they aren't passionate about after a certain amount of time, especially if it is not presented in a way that is stimulating.

As for Univ. of Neb. I loved the grammar and composition, but I love writing. I didn't have to diagram a sentence after my freshman year. My sophomore year was spent in public school and that teacher didn't do it. My junior and senior years I was able to choose elective type english courses, and that was where my love affair with reading was cemented for life. I didn't take Physics or Programming. I am the artsy philosophical type. I loved the literature courses the most.
When i first started high school I deeply hated it. I swore that I would never go to college because I couldn't imagine wasting 4 more years of my life on school and actually PAYING for it. By my senior year, I was in a snit because there were other courses I wanted to take but my workload was full. I couldn't wait to get to college! Even now, even though I have enough credit hours for two bachelors degrees, I am still taking classes...not for a degree, but just to learn more about the things that interest me. So, although you might have found curriculum "dry", for some of us, it was the juiciest fruit ever eaten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: