Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have a child in Pre-k. Please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiarich
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Have a child in Pre-k. Please help! Reply with quote

This is my first year homeschooling my son (1st grade). Now my family is taking my daughter out of daycare because they want me to homeschool her also. She just turned 3, so it's Pre-k time. The problem is I have no clue what to teach a 3 y.o. If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me Crying or Very sad . Is there even a cirriculum out there for a Pre-K child?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Have a child in Pre-k. Please help! Reply with quote

Check the Preschool area, there's lots of posts discussing this. Bottom line, you don't need a curriculum - just cover letters and numbers and do lots of fun, creative things. You can move directly on from there to phonics and kindergarten.
Lorren
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dd learned her letters, numbers, and colors when she was 2... she learned those at home and at day care.

About 4 or 5 months after she turned 3, I bought a couple of workbooks for her. They were preschool type workbooks that I got at Costco. One book started off with letter writing practice and moved into basic phonics, another book was readiness type activities like dot-to-dots, opposites, sequencing, etc.

We've been doing those workbooks ever since, two pages a day on non-Kindercare days. She likes doing them (not all children will). It's amazing the stuff she has picked up from these books, and she has fun doing it.

I think I might have spent $20 for the whole package of workbooks (the two main workbooks were over 300 pages each), and we're still using them... although we're moving on to a regular curriculum next week, so I guess I'll schedule the workbook pages when there's not much else going on or let her do some of the pages independently for fun.

If your child likes doing stuff like that, workbooks can be fun. It's not for everyone though. My nephew is more of a kinesthetic learner and wouldn't want to sit and do seatwork.

We also buy learning software for dd. We like Jumpstart, Reader Rabbit, Arthur's Kindergarten (now she does Arthur's First Grade), and Studydog. The computer store has learning software from toddler age to school age. Learning software isn't for everyone either... if your child doesn't like to sit then they might not like it, but my dd likes it and we let her play these games on the computer for fun.
tiarich
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the Preschool forum. I will take a trip to Sams Club and see if I can find some workbooks. wish me luck Laughing
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things that I have found very important to do with my 6 kids at the pre-K age is read them stories (like fairy tales, Little Golden Books, Bible Stories, etc.) and play outdoors with them. They need fresh air, sunshine and exercise.

Ramona
Kitty
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the DonnaYoung.org website for free homeschool ideas.
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Alpha Omega and Abeka have preschool curriculum that I have used. The important thing is to let them learn through playing. The next best thing is to read, read, and read to them. Make use of your library and find illustrated books that actually teach.
love2bastayathomemom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read, Read, Read, Read, and More READING!

When she gets bored with seat work, PLAY LOTS OF GAMES!
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at www.letteroftheweek.com It's a good start for teaching letters.

Other things you'll want to teach her over the next couple of years:
cutting with scissors
counting (to 10 or 20 should be fine)
following a line with a crayon (dot to dots, etc.) for pre-writing skills
colors
shapes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: