Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Familiar with "The Great Courses"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
su
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Familiar with "The Great Courses"? Reply with quote

I just received a catalog for The Great Courses by The Teaching Company. They are lectures by college professors and high school teachers on DVD, aimed at high schoolers or anyone interested in the subjects (math, sci., hist., music, and philosophy). I was wondering if anyone has previewed these and has any comments on their content. What kind of world view is taught (especially in sci. and hist.)? They sound like they could be a good resource if they are not too full of an anti-God world view or revisionist history (not that we have to sugar coat history either!).

Thanks for your comments! Smile
Isikole
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a lot of their courses, from Psychology to Sociology. They are very good, however, I would say that they are for the more advanced student. They do have some courses that are aimed at high schoolers, and I'm sure they would be suitable. All in all they offer a very good product!
kkg
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: World History Reply with quote

My 10th grade son is viewing the high school world History tapes this year. He is doing it independently which is now working out well. They do provide a worksheet to go with each lesson/plus answer key in this particular program. My husband & I watched the first lesson & my husband fell asleep! It kept my attention, but of course how interesting can history be unless that is your major!

Hope this was helpful.
LisaMKH
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think history can be very interesting even if it is not your major.

I have a friend who uses Teaching Company's dvds. Her dh likes them, but I have no clue if they put a slant to things. But I so completely understand what you mean. So many textbooks either change the realities of history with politically correct garble or every other sentence starts with "because God says so." So far, despite not being very religious myself, I have found BJU and Christian Liberty Press books to be the closest to what I want. We also watch a fair number of documentaries on TV. I am guessing that since they are made generally by scientists and such and not by a textbook company where every bit of content is being voted on by a bunch of old men in a government building, that they are pretty good.

BUT...I did want to add that I have found a fair number of the Teaching Company's courses through the local library. I have requested some via interlibrary loan. So you might wish to check there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: