Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time4learning,ETAB and SOS URGENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlynn
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Time4learning,ETAB and SOS URGENT Reply with quote

Hi,
I need help. I want to know if Mary Pride has reviewed the above products. We took the SOS test and it was not giving my daughter credit because of "improper spacing". Her comma and question were input correctly.

I have also found a site called Time4learning which is 19.95 a month and it even grades your child. Anyone use it? The next is a website called Etab I found an ad for it on the Timeforlearning website. It is only 84.00 per year or something close to that amount for all your homeschooled children.

This is VERY urgent as I MUST turn in a plan this Tuesday night to a homeschool group I want to join.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOS, yes; Time4Learning, probably; ETAB, no idea. We don't currently have the reviews on our web site, though
jlynn
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did She like the products?I have always used her advise as a guideline.
sweetpea
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Time4learning,ETAB and SOS URGENT Reply with quote

jlynn wrote:
Hi,
I need help. I want to know if Mary Pride has reviewed the above products. We took the SOS test and it was not giving my daughter credit because of "improper spacing". Her comma and question were input correctly.

I have also found a site called Time4learning which is 19.95 a month and it even grades your child. Anyone use it? The next is a website called Etab I found an ad for it on the Timeforlearning website. It is only 84.00 per year or something close to that amount for all your homeschooled children.

This is VERY urgent as I MUST turn in a plan this Tuesday night to a homeschool group I want to join.

jlynn,

I've not heard of Etab so can't comment on it. We TRIED to use SOS, ordered their trial CD but couldn't get it to load on my son's computer. (He has an older computer so maybe that's why).

We decided to use Time4Learning and have been VERY pleased with it! T4L is web-based so there are no CD's to load. My son can access the lessons from ANY computer (with internet access) not just the computer they are loaded on. He can log on and do his lessons at Grandma's house or wherever. And yes, grading is done FOR you.

Some other things we like about Time4Learning:

It uses CompassLearning Odyssey, a nationally recognized on-line learning program.

Interactive and animated lessons.

Many lessons include printable worksheets.

It is easy to track your child's progress via their "attendance" report and "Student Score Report" which shows all activities your child has completed, the score, how much time they spent on each activity, and the answers on quizzes and tests.

T4L provides a scope and sequence for parents who want to be more involved in lesson planning.

Low monthly price ($19.95) that you can pay by the month. This was a huge plus for us since we didn't have to come up with a bunch of money up-front like you do for some curriculums.

The subjects currently offered by T4L (for my son's grade level) are: Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Pre-Algebra and Algebra.

If you visit the site, be sure and check out their "Homeschool Program" and try out the Lesson Demos. Signing up is easy and they have a risk free 14 day money-back guarantee.

http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool-curriculum.htm

Hope this helps and good luck with the homeschooling group!
jlynn
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I tried it out today. The site is kind of confusing. I don't know where to start and when to quiz my child. Also I have to do a portfolio review. How do I PROVE I did this work and include samples?Do you print out the lessons? Is this better then Switched on Schoolhouse?
sweetpea
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlynn wrote:
Thank you. I tried it out today. The site is kind of confusing. I don't know where to start and when to quiz my child. Also I have to do a portfolio review. How do I PROVE I did this work and include samples?Do you print out the lessons? Is this better then Switched on Schoolhouse?

I will agree, the site is a bit confusing when starting out. I always scroll down to Site Map (at the bottom) and navigate from there.

If you are asking about placement for grade level, T4L doesn't test for that. What we did was start our DS on the grade level he was in PS, then adjusted from there based on his ease (or difficulty) doing the actual lessons. For instance he is doing 8th grade level Language Arts, Science and History, but 7th grade level for Math.

The lessons themselves are not printable, but many of the lessons do have printable worksheets. The Scope & Sequence for the lessons are printable as well as the Student Score Report. You can also print out all your child's recent activity (by the day, week or month). This report shows the name of each lesson your child worked on, the subject, the score, the date and time they worked on it and the duration (how many hours/minutes they spent working on the lesson). I am including this report in my child's portfolio as documentation of his work on the computer, and the worksheets as "samples" of his work.

Again, I have not used SOS so cannot compare the two. T4L works well for us. Maybe someone who has used both T4L and SOS can comment on which is better. Some people find a mix of curriculums works too.
jlynn
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sweatpea,
One more question? I see were you can view their activity for up to one month at a time. So lets say we start Aug 15.Does this mean I would need to print up all her lessons because I would lose THAT month of recordkeeping to the new month?I need to keep records.
sweetpea
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlynn wrote:
Thanks Sweatpea,
One more question? I see were you can view their activity for up to one month at a time. So lets say we start Aug 15.Does this mean I would need to print up all her lessons because I would lose THAT month of recordkeeping to the new month?I need to keep records.

In the Student Portfolio, there are three tabs.

The first tab (on the left) is labeled "Recent Work". That has the DAY, WEEK and MONTH buttons on it. The MONTH button gives you the last 31 days (not just the current calendar month) so no, you won't lose August lessons come September 1st.

The "Recent Work" tab is just what it says though, "recent" work. If you want to go back further, you can click the third tab over (on the far right) labeled "Reports". THIS tab allows you to generate a report for 1 week (last 7 days) 1 Month (last 31 days) OR using a date range. You can enter whatever date range you want (going back as far as you want). This option allows you to print a report beyond the last 31 days. I just used it tonight myself to print out all my child's lessons from July 1st to date.

The tab in the middle, labeled "Assignments", is not currently active to Time4Learning members.

Have you joined the Parent Forum on T4L yet? It is a good place to ask questions too. The owner of the site and other parents on the forum are very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: