Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

K12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: K12 Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone is using or has used this program. I have purchased it for my children. I was wondering if there was any need to supplement or something that didn't work?

For my 9 yo (pulled from 4th grade), we will be using level 3 language, level 3 math, level 3 history and level 4 science. For my 8 yo (pulled from 2nd grade), we will be using level 2 language, level 1 math, level 2 history and level 2 science.

They will be starting piano in the spring for music and I will supplement with crafts off line for their art. They are in many sports for their PE.

TIA
FLMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using k12 for my daughter since August. We are on level four in all subjects, and are using the entire curriculum through a virtual school program. Next year we do not plan on continuing with the virtual school, I find it to be too restrictive in certain areas. We will, however, purchase the LA and Science portions. 5th grade marks a two year study of American history and I would like to move in a different direction.

My opinion:

Math: I'm not happy with the way lessons are presented, it seems as if k12 breaks down the concept too far. I find that I am ditching the instructional portions and teaching the objectives.

Music: Run far and fast. It has been explained to me that it's better in the lower and upper grades, but that 4th is basic review of previous years; and therefore, childish for the age.

Science: I'm happy with the book, it goes into far greater detail than I had initially anticipated.

History: I love k12's History. Sometimes it can be a bit choppy and bounce around, but it is engaging.

Art: I like this as well, although, I'd never purchase it on my own as there are so many more options available where I live. It's heavy on artist profiles and appreciation.

Language Arts: Overall I love this part of the curriculum.
~It seems a bit redundant to have both a spelling and vocabulary unit, these could very easily be combined. But I do like how state facts are worked into the spelling lessons.
~Literature is pretty good, although could just as easily be accomplished outside of a purchased curriculum. There are 4 novel units within the 4th grade curriculum, sadly the majority of novels to choose from were below my daughter's level in reading. But in k12's defense, my daughter is well above level.
~Gum - invaluable, in my opinion.
~Composition is ok, but our virtual school has messed with the writing portion of our curriculum so much that I don't feel I can give an objective opinion.

Test Prep: All I can say is WHY? It's probably a good thing to learn if you plan on entering the public school system at some point, but the only reason I can see for it being included is for the states that require standardized testing of homeschooled students. But that opens a whole different rant.
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the analysis. We have been using it as a purchased homeschool option for a month. We did not purchase the art or music. I found free art lessons through the Chicago public school and our kids are going to start piano in the spring. I was told this teacher does music appreciation in her lessons.

I agree somewhat with the math. It is broken way down. I often simply have to give the boys brief directions and they finish the lesson on their own. We often do two lessons a day, because they are broken down so far.

I really like their language arts too. They learn so much and really don't realize they are learning anything until it is assessment time. They did several assessments today and both were nervous... "We didn't study!" They did fine Smile

The test prep is purely optional when the curriculum is purchased. I will have them do it anyway, because it does prepare them for any standardized tests they may take in the future including ACT or SAT. But we have yet to even been assigned on of the lessons out of test prep.

I also love the history. I am learning right along with them. I always hated history as a child, but K12 really seems to make it interesting.

I think the science is a little advanced for the levels (2 and 4) we are doing. But my kids are keeping up with it. They really love all the hands on with the science.
FLMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The science is pretty advanced for the level. I was shocked with the human anatomy unit when they were teaching reflex arcs and the homunculus!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: