Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

school in a RV across country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candy atkinson
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: school in a RV across country Reply with quote

I an homeschooling a 5-k boy, 4-k girl and have a 1yr old girl. My husband and I are thinking of spending a year in a RV traveling the country. It first was a joke/dream but we actually think it could work out and are now researching and working toward it. We don't plan to go for at least another year, maybe two. Has anyone every done this or something similar while homeschooling? Question How do you handle things like- the library? What are some things I need to look into? What are problems that you could have prevented? I know there are challenges to overcome but what a learning experience for my kids....AND me and my husband! What a great family adventure!
MeganWiles
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy,

I'm afraid I have no advice at all, but I just wanted to say how great I think that is. There is so much to be learned from travel, and what a great family bonding experience. That sounds like the type of thing that most people talk about but never follow through with. I love to hear about people following their dreams.

Good luck!
Chrisy
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: school in a RV across country Reply with quote

candy atkinson wrote:
I an homeschooling a 5-k boy, 4-k girl and have a 1yr old girl. My husband and I are thinking of spending a year in a RV traveling the country. It first was a joke/dream but we actually think it could work out and are now researching and working toward it. We don't plan to go for at least another year, maybe two. Has anyone every done this or something similar while homeschooling? Question How do you handle things like- the library? What are some things I need to look into? What are problems that you could have prevented? I know there are challenges to overcome but what a learning experience for my kids....AND me and my husband! What a great family adventure!

We will be doing this ourselves this year though not full time,we have been full time before but not homeschooling at the time either. I have been looking into it and found an online childrens library, it won't have all the books you want yet as it is constatly growing and is still fairly new, but you should be able to find something on it for little ones like yours.
it's called the International Children's Digital Library. web site is :
www.icdlbooks.org

One of the things I would advise you to do, is to try and get a trailer with a separate bedroom for the children, it will give them an area of their own and somewhere you can possibly school in, rather that taking up the rest of the living area, it can get a little chaotic when you are all in the same small space and meal times get crazy when you have to start moving HS stuff to use the table.

do a search on the internet for 'full time rv'ing and homeschooling' , there are alot of people that do this and some excellent forums that you can take a look at,loaded with exactly the kind of advice that you need.

Good look and I hope you have fun on your travels

Chrisy
candy atkinson
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megan and Christy- thanks to you for your encouragement and information! Christy - I looked at the online Library and was glad to see the good books on the list...they have a yr or so to expand before I really need it so hopefully that will be a big help. Also I found some great stuff online like you suggested and was encouraged to read a story of a family living the same dream and loving it! Christy- thanks a bunch for giving me some direction!

I'm still looking for more ideas and things to plan for if anyone out there has any tips!!
Chrisy
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Very Welcome, I thought you would find the search useful,having lived in the trailer for a while, I have met quite a few families that HS on the road and they all love it, the kids do great.

Most of them are signed up to an umbrella school of some kind, as the majority of the books you need are included in the package, or they are with an online school.(the majority of RV sites have wifi so the internet is readily available, and you can opt to have a satelite fitted to the trailer so you have internet no matter where you are, this is expensive though)

Pick your trailer carefully,all manufacturers have online sights where you can go and look at the floor plans,most have virtual tours for each model too. I found that an island type kitchen works best for us as you can get out of the way while cooking.

Another thing to think about is where you will be travelling to and at what time of year, depending on the climate you may need to look at having an arctic pack included on the trailer,it's normally an extra but well worth it if you intend to be going into colder climates, you won't end up with frozen pipes and problems with the water tanks.Also look at the amount of under trailer storage space available on the models as well as inside storage. Are you thinking of a Coach type, 5th wheel or pull behind?
Coaches are easier to set up but you will need a 2nd vehicle, Tow behinds are affected by wind, 5th wheels are much more stable with more room, but you need the right truck to pull them, look for the trailer first then the truck.

If you are buying new think carefully before getting it and remember that you can have one custom made, floor plans can be changed, so can seating plans at little or no extra cost ( If you dont want a couch in the living area you can change for a chair and maybe a small computer area)

I have known a few families that matched the family to the trailer instead of the other way around, they regretted it and had to exchange it almost immediately ( we did it twice, now on our 3rd trailer lol).

It's a wonderful lifestyle and great for the children, they will see so much more of the county, and their geography lesson is right out side.

If I can get in touch with some of the families I know I will pass on some of the advice they have for the children
WissNX-01
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like a long field trip. Interesting, but consider the fuel prices that are sure to skyrocket in the near future.
Meegrit
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy, this is my dream! I so want to do this same thing with my boys. I think we are hoping to do it when they are more like 7 and 10 (right now they are 4 and 1). I would love to hear more of how your trip develops!

- Meghan
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I have talked about this since way before we were homeschooling. I am so excited for you. I would love to get some people together someday and make a wagon train across the country! God Bless America!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: