Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Started in Homeschooling: The First Ten Steps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Getting Started in Homeschooling: The First Ten Steps Reply with quote

Getting Started in Homeschooling: The First Ten Steps
by Mary Pride
http://www.home-school.com/Articles/GetStarted.html

Last edited by Theodore on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Jahbu
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Offended Reply with quote

I am very offended about this post. I did not like your comment about "a serious mental illness" Yes, I am homeschooling my son and I have a serious mental illness but it is controlled with medication and I am under a Doctor's care. At the same time, I have an MBA in Accounting and I recently passed the two exams for the Elementary Teaching Certificate in New York. Your negative comments comes from ignorance. People that are sick should not be the subject of other peoples jokes.
Tiarali
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, my father nearly died several times because of the mental illness that he was battling at the time. When I read Mary Pride's statement, I presumed that it meant that people who homeschool with no history of mental illness can find themselves under a lot of stress, and start to exhibit they symptoms of depression (I have read a number of online anecdotes to this effect); a person who is already battling a mental illness may (depending on where they are in their treatment) be risking their health and happiness by entering into a situation where they may experience serious stress.

My father had to quit his job before he could get better, because it was so stressful. Starting to homeschool for him at that point would have been dangerous - he was at a point where he needed to put his own health first.

This does not mean to say he is subintelligent, in fact, his IQ is very high, and he is a very talented and creative man. I love him and respect him greatly.

And yes, he is still on medication today, but at the same time I believe that he has recovered to the point where he could now cope with a stressor like homeschooling.

I do not believe the author meant to offend anyone by her statement; it was simply a warning that homeschooling can be stressful, and that if you need to put your own health first, maybe you should wait before embarking on the homeschooling journey.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: You need a solid mental footing to handle the stress of... Reply with quote

Yes, precisely. You need a reasonably solid mental footing to handle the stress of having others dependant on you. I might also point out that "a history of serious mental illness" is not the same thing as "mental illness", and that the phrase is open to a wide variety of interpretations. I personally wouldn't classify people as being seriously mentally ill unless they were a danger to themselves and/or others.
Janine72
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Great List of Benefits Reply with quote

Great Link...especially the list of homeschooling benefits! Smile
josephjordan
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Advantages And Disadvantages Of Homeschooling Reply with quote

The whole home education movement began back in the sixties, with the hippies rebelling against all things government run, but since then, it has grown into a legitimate method of schooling. In fact, home schooling has become so big that colleges and universities now accept applications from children who have never been to school without question. But like any major decision involving your child, you have to weigh the pros and cons before deciding if home education is the right choice for you and your family.

Over the years, home education has received a bad rap due to parents who keep their kids at home, but dont actually teach them anything. These children often emerge from the cocoon of their home life as adults with severe disadvantages. They are not able to interact well socially and their knowledge of basic academic subjects is very low. When people see this, they assume that home education is not a good thing.

Also, many people are against home education because they believe that the school teachers are better equipped to teach children than parents. The facilities in the school are better in many areas, particularly the lab and the library. For obvious reasons, gym class is quite different in the school environment as well.

However, not all home education is badly done. There are parents who are very well equipped to teach their children and as long as they realize when they are out of their league, there is no problem, as a tutor can be hired. Also, there are several very good curriculums available specifically for home use that are easy to follow both for student and parent.

As long as care is taken, there is no need for social ineptness in the average home education student. There are a multitude of activities and classes that children can take to provide them with a social experience. In fact, many areas have home education groups where families who home school get together for various activities. The parents can discuss children and teaching difficulties while the students play games and sports and just generally interact with other young people their own age.

While it is true that classes such as phys. Ed. and science can be more difficult at home, there are ways around this. One way is to invest in lab equipment as a group, with several families pitching in to buy the required equipment. Also, many schools allow students from home educated families to participate in just one class without problems. This depends on the school and the area it is in, so its best to ask first.

Home education can be a very rewarding venture for the right people, but you do need to realize that it is not a vacation. Studying at home means a lot of hard work and less motivation, since you have only your own family to spur you on. For those who are not very disciplined, home schooling is not a good option. Weigh the choices, talk to other people who are already teaching their kids at home and then make an educated decision.
bruisin
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was a great post!

I am a firm believer that where God guides He also provides.
Texas_Raani
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Response to Seriously Ill Mom... Reply with quote

People are so easily offended these days if things aren't politically correct. Serious illness or not, though. If God gave you children, then he probably wanted you to raise and educate them. Surprised
Texas_Raani
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Janine's Website Reply with quote

Janine, I just wanted to comment that I love your website...especially all the info about getting started homeschooling. We think alike. Thanks for posting that!
KristaBelk
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Serious illness.... Reply with quote

It's funny that this is a hot topic here. I just 'new post'ed something about this a few days back. Back in February I was hospitalized for about 10 days for major depression topped off with postpartum psychosis. I was having some serious SERIOUS harmful thought toward my one year old. NOW THAT'S NOT THE PLACE YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU ARE UNDER ANY KIND OF STRESS!!!! My only child (so far) is my 1-1/2 year old daughter. I no longer have those thoughts but I am still shaky. I know I have about 3-1/2 years to fully recover and set up support systems. I am going to home school. And I am really on fire about the idea. I am really excited. I know if God is willing, I can do it.

--Krista.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI. I am always looking for homeschooler's blogs to read. Janine72 your blog link and Texas_Raani your blog link don't work.
Jaenyd
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling blog Reply with quote

ontheprairie wrote:
HI. I am always looking for homeschooler's blogs to read. Janine72 your blog link and Texas_Raani your blog link don't work.

Here is another Blog/website on homeschooling. It has everything from how to get started, advices, curriculum.
Blissfulteacher
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

That is a great link for us begining homeschoolers. I have been building up information about what is out there to use to help me homeschool my son.
FastPace68
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Great Article Reply with quote

Thats is a very useful article to me. I'm seriously considering homeschooling my children here. I'd love to exchange ideas and methods with anybody, if they'd like to help a beginnner? thanks!
Vrindavan
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good introduction, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: