Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutoring high school levels of math

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Tutoring high school levels of math Reply with quote

Recently, through no advertising, I have acquired 2 unrelated tutoring jobs--both students have had Algebra 1 this year but just didn't master all of concepts. Each student's parents have hired me to bring them up to speed by helping with their gaps so that they can be ready for Algebra 2 in the fall.

My question...what is the going rate for an hour of tutoring--one on one for Algebra 1 and higher levels of math? I have a B.S. in Secondary Math Education so this is actually fun supplemental money while I homeschool my own kiddos! But...I'd like to get paid the going rate.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!--Blessings, Suzanne
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutoring high school levels of math Reply with quote

Algebra is relatively easy to teach, and the going rate for that seems to be around $25 per hour. Depending on how much driving to and from the tutoring you have to do, you might charge fuel costs + driving time as well. More advanced math such as Calculus would probably be closer to $50 for an hour session, especially if you have experience teaching it (but that includes driving fees).
Katharos
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just graduated from homeschool and will be attending the University of Chicago. Recently, I offered my tutoring services in mathematics and writing/grammar and have received many inquiries and hence, I now have four students. I charge $15.00/hour, and this is a very reasonable rate to charge. Of course, "real" tutors charge upward, as high as $150/hour, I have heard (which is ridiculous). It is best if you find a college students who know the subject, as they tend to be both smart and in desparate need of money.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they come to you or do you go to them? With gasoline $3 per gallon some places, you don't actually end up with much of an hourly fee if you aren't getting paid for driving time as well. Of course, it's good training if you are practicing to be a teacher, in which case you could break even and still find it worthwhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: