Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Civil War Unit study

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bddailymom
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Civil War Unit study Reply with quote

Hi y'all. I'm new here, but I've been hs for 4 years. Our family is driving from Dallas to Pennsylvania for vacation in August, and we plan to visit Gettysburg. My husband is a Civil War buff, so I have a library full of resource material, but I'm overwhelmed with the volume of information and the dauntless task of paring it down for my kids. What I'm looking for is a ready made unit study that I can use as a starting point and agument to fit our interests. My children are upper elementary, but even if middle school has the best curricula, that would be fine because we can all do it together and like I said, I fully plan to modify. Can anyone recommend something that they've enjoyed? I want this to be fun because it is a part of our vacation, and because history should be interesting and fun. The problem with most historians is that they are great at that--being a historian, but they're terrible authors.
crzy_4_books
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fas as Civil War goes there is so much and usually we ust study in in one of the big history books. We have never done a unit study. Books on tape are a good thing, you can get historical fiction ones. There is a neat web site I found called www.familyaudiolibrary.com and it has all sorts of family friendly audio books, that are very reasonable. What a breath of fresh air! I noticed they had a lot of historical fiction ones. Maybe they will have something for you.

Have fun on your trip.
bddailymom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The books on tape are a neat idea, especially since it's such a long trip. You're right--the big books are fun to go through and make up your own studies. I was trying to be lazy, but I might not have that luxury. I have a worksheet maker software program which is great and easy to use, but I have to input all the data for it to spit out the worksheet. I guess I need to get on it if we're going that route.
Thanks for your reply.
kari
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: