Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

testing for dyslexia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwka
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: testing for dyslexia Reply with quote

Hello,

I am strongly convinced that my ds9 is somewhat dyslectic. I would like for him to be tested. What is the process of doing it through your local public school? What should I expect? What kind of help would I be offered afterwords? We live in Missouri.

Thanks
mamaholly
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that dyslexia is a medical diagnosis. The school system can test for a wider umbrella called learning disability but that a doctor must diagnose dyslexia specifically. But that is as far as my knowledge goes... and that may only apply to Tennessee law.
menehune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under IDEA 2004, the school district where a private school is located is responsible for conducting the evaluation - not the district where the student lives. If you are home-schooling from your home, then your local school is responsible. If you have your child in a homeschool program in a different attendance area, then the school where that program is located is responsible for testing.

You should start by going to the school district website to find out who you need to contact, then follow their directions.

If you can't find that out easily, then you can send a written request for evaluation to the school principal or the district's special education director. Be sure that you document each of your concerns in the letter so that all suspected disabilities will be assessed. Don't forget to keep a copy of the letter and any attachments for your files, and if you send it with delivery confirmation, they can't say they never got it. You can also follow up any written requests with an email if the website has provided an email address for the person you've sent the request to.

Good luck!
thewellmans06
User

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we believe our almost 10 year old has forms of dyslexia---the school district here says they will tests for special needs, to see how they learn etc (which we already know--visual) so we opted out of the test with them. Especially since we are homeschooling---i'm looking for other options on it besides the school district--they are the reason why we are homeschooling in the first place!
romacox
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tutor I find many children are misdiagnosed as having dyslexia, ADD and other learning abilities (even by doctors).

Hands on learners, active children who are under stress (because the structure in the school system does not allow them to release energy, and sometimes diet), children who's learning time clock do not fit the one size fits all approach used in the public school system, ext are often misdiagnosed as Attention Deficit, Dyslexic and other learning disabilities.

Here are some articles that will help you greatly in deciding what your course of action will be. I recommend medication as a last resort.

The Hands On Learners
http://www.read-phonics.com/parenting-teachng-learning-styles.html
Brain Research On The Effects Of Stress And Learning, and how to help through diet and other procedures.
http://www.read-phonics.com/learning-disabilities-cortisol.html
Un-schooling
http://ezinearticles.com/?Home-Schooling-and-Un-Schooling&id=2620009
Better Late Than Early: This book is an excellent resource for understanding children's natural learning time clock. The authors back up their findings with scientific research, and experience. The book is out of print, but used ones are available at a reasonable price on Amazon.
YouTube Video of a Tutor using homeschool curriculum/ games to help children with dyslexia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt8Rp7yR7is

I ( and many homeschool parents) have helped lots of these children without having to resort to medication, and with a little information it is easy.
romacox
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only learning about Scotopic Sensitivity, but it can also cause learning disabilities.

Here are two links for anyone interested in researching this subject:
http://www.hale.ndo.co.uk/scotopic/definition.htm

http://irlen.com/index.php

I hope in some of these links you will find something that helps your son. Please keep us informed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: