Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutoring Public School Kids. HELP!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertStephens
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Tutoring Public School Kids. HELP!!!! Reply with quote

I am a recent-grad mechanical engineer. After 2 years I've given up trying to find a job, (I'm BROKE) so I started working as a tutor. I love helping kids, but I really I don't have experience teaching. My company gave me worksheets, which is OK for practicing math problems, but I'd like to do something different, esp. with my reading students. Can you recommend any books? Games? ....?

Las Vegas has some of the worst Public Schools. Some of my kids have no interest in academics, they don't have homework, they don't use textbooks, they don't like to read, they just do the dorky worksheets that the teachers give them in class to keep them busy. They have normal intelligence, but they don't seem to have any interest in anything. I have 1 or 2 hours a week with them to "help their academics" and try to get their grades up, so I want to make the best of it.

I have 2 reading students. One is in 10th grade. I have NO IDEA what to do with him, except give worksheets, have him read a paragraph and answer questions. I feel like I'm wasting his time.
RaysHomeschool
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend some time getting to know what interests the student. Then find some reading material that revolves around that subject. The best way to teach someone to read is to find something that is worth reading in their opinion. If all they do in school is worksheets I would stay as far away from worksheets as I could, it will only reinforce to the students that learning anything is just stupid.
RobertStephens
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Right now I have mostly "math" students. And they do seem to be bored with worksheets. I'd really like to not use them, but I'm having trouble finding an alternative.
RaysHomeschool
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of math are they working on?
RobertStephens
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they call "math" is some simple algebra, geometry, etc. They put fancy names on it to make it sound impressive. The high schoolers I'm tutoring are mostly the under-achievers, or under motivated. I've got a 10th grader who can't do long division, and barely understand fractions. I'm doing the very basics.

My friend is studying to be a math teacher. He says the school puts pressure on them to pass tests. So he has to make them memorize steps to solve problems for tests, but if he spends time working on fundamentals (which they need), he could get fired if the kids don't pass their exams. I'm kind of in that situation; if I spend a lot of time on basics of math: long division, multiplication, fractions, arethmetic, repetition, worksheets, etc., the kids will be bored, and might not show immediate improvements on tests. But if I make them memorize the nonsense, they will go through the motions and get the grade, but not understand what they're doing.

My reading student never called me back. He's got passing grades, so they decided they don't need (free) tutoring anymore. I've also got a 8th grade spanish speaking student who is doing really well. I'm using Kumon's reading workbooks, and Dr. Seuss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: