Feeling guilty about not having a 'set' schedule!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Feeling guilty about not having a 'set' schedule!

Postby deerledge » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:25 am

Im really enjoying homeschooling my 12 yo 7th grader but am feeling guilty about not having a set schedule that we go by. Everyday, we just wing it. We do reading, math, science, history and writing everyday with art and pe thrown in here and there. She pretty much does her own scheduling depending on what she wants to do first. She usually chooses the reading and saves math for last. Is it wrong to not use a set schedule?

Postby hscoach » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:10 am

No, it is not wrong to not have a set schedule. It is okay. Look at it this way.............it doesn't matter how the learning occurs or when it occurs, just so it does occur. As long as she is gaining the knowledge, it doesn't matter whether you follow a certain schedule each day. (That line of thinking comes from our 'traditional school' mentality.)

Postby Theodore » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:21 am

Variety keeps things from getting boring. Why be boring if you dont have to be?

Postby Reiitaia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:30 pm

That's how my homeschooling was when I was younger, except even more unscheduled. My version of homeschooling was pretty much "Here's a book. Learn it". I'm guessing this approach worked since I going to be taking college classes this fall (I just turned 15). So, don't feel guilty about not having a "classroom" type homeschooling environment. In my opinion, adopting a rigid, traditional classroom environment practically defeats the purpose of homechooling a child.

Postby danielle82 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I think thats one of the joys of homeschooling...there isn't a set schedule! If you want to start with math one day and do it last the next day...who cares? its getting done and its no pressure! if you love math and want to start and finish with math...thats okay too! strengthem the strengths right?

Postby ncmom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:27 pm

We don't have a set schedule either. We get up and at least try to start by 9. Some days it happens and others we don't start until after lunch. My kids can pick the order they do their work and I just roll with it. My oldest does DVD's for the most part now, he is a jr in high school, and is pretty well self sufficient. My daughter is in 7th and has switched from books to SOS, so she is on the computer. I am there to supervise, answer questions, teach the labs, and grade. One of my younger ones is starting some basic "fun" school (he is 3) so a lot of my time is with him and my 1 yr old. I think as long as our children are doing well and progressing then we are doing a good job...who said school has to be rigid and scheduled to work?

Return to “Getting Started”