science projects?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jan
User

science projects?

Postby jan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:27 pm

:D HEY DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME COOL SCIENCE EXPERIMENT IDEAS THEY HAVE DONE AT HOME WITH YOUR KIDS? USING THINGS OR ITEMS THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY IN THEIR HOMES? I HAVE A VERY ACTIVE LITTLE BOY WHO I THINK WILL BE A VERY HANDS ON LEARNER. HE LOVES SCIENCE !!! I WANT TO KEEP HIM DOING SOME NEAT SCIENCE PROJECT TYPE STUFF! SO IF YOU HAVE ANY GOOD :idea: IDEAS ,PROJECTS,EXPERIMENTS ,OR KNOW OF ANY GOOD BOOKS TO USE ! PLEASE! LET ME KNOW . THANKS! :D :) :lol: :wink:

BY THE WAY HE IS 9YRS GOING INTO 4TH GRADE LEVEL AND IN THE FALL WILL BE OUR FIRST YEAR OF HS. ALSO HAVE DD 8YRS 3RD GRADE WILL ALSO BE HS IN THE FALL TO :!:

sparkie12
User

Science project

Postby sparkie12 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:15 pm

My sons and I did something cool last year. We took ice cubes and placed them different places outside to see which would melt quicker. Like one on the dirt in the sun and one on the dirt in the shade. One on top of the barbeque grill and one on the porch. You get the idea. We then set the timer for 5 minutes and went to check on 'em. It was classic observation. We talked about how it is hotter in the sun than in the shade. The one on the metal grill melted quicker than the one on the wood. It was fun to see their little faces when we went to check it out.

Blessings, Robin
Blessed are they that hear the Word of GOD and keep it. Luke 11:28

Theodore

Re: Science project

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Then there's the classic baking soda and vinegar experiment. Take the same measured amounts of baking soda and vinegar and see how they react when:

- The baking soda is added to the vinegar as a lump...
- The baking soda is added to the vinegar as a powder spread across the surface...
- The baking soda is dissolved in water and then added to the vinegar.

This demonstrates how the speed of a reaction depends on the relative surface area of the reactants.

You can also take a glass container, fill it with water, and freeze it. As the water freezes and expands, the glass will shatter (remember to put it in a pan to catch the fragments).

And you can make a mini-tornado with boiling water and a properly sculpted cardboard box.

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:13 pm

Jan,

You can check out this web site.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Naked-Egg
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:56 pm

There was also an experiment for my Physical Science where you take some milk, heat it to a boil, then add just a tiny amount of vinegar. The milk all turns into one big curd, similar how some plastics are formed.

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:36 pm

I personally love to dissect things. Don't worry, no frogs, but fruits and flowers are great to take a part and check out the different parts to see how they function.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:10 pm

'backyard science' is a great series of books that have cool experiments with stuff around the house. my boys like the baking soda and vinegar rockets, [film canisters], then ther is the soda can implosion heating up a little bit of water in a soda can, just until steming then puting it upside down in a cool bowl of water, that is fun/, check out your local library for some cool science experiment books too, i know our library has some great books, my first cooking and science.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

renecoston
User

Postby renecoston » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Discovery Toys has a book called Science Crafts for Kids - a friend just gave it to me so I haven't read it yet, but she has pretty decent taste! :wink:
Bipolar disorder certainly affects mood, but it also affects cognition and the ability to perform mental tasks.
Some days we can out-think Stephen Hawking.
Other days we make Forrest Gump look like an intellectual.

Return to “Getting Started”