Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crazy woman here! Watch out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PottersDaughter
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Crazy woman here! Watch out! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've been in search of a GOOD Homeschool forum to join, and I think I might just have found it!

Let's see.... I'm in Shreveport, LA. Married to a blessing of a husband, son is almost 8 going into 2nd grade, and daughter is 6 going into 1st grade.

My kids went to a private school that was classical-based the past year/two years. We're taking a crack at homeschooling this year.

One of my best friends and I are going at this together actually. She has a son, almost 9, who will be entering 3rd grade, and then a 4yo daughter we'll be doing some preschool with, and a 20 month old we'll also do some things with (mostly to keep her out of trouble and occupied!).

Am I CRAZY!?!?! lol What have I gotten into here?!?

To make things easiest for my friend, we'll be homeschooling at her house Tuesday-Friday. Mondays, her oldest son will come to my house with my two kids. So... Our "classroom" setup will be based in my friend's house; not mine.

Has anyone ever done, or even HEARD of something like this?

Would love to get to know some of you veterans, and I even would covet your opinions!!!

Thanks in advance for being a friend here.... Because you're gonna be whether you like it or not!!! Razz
Jill
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the homeschool journey!

I've heard of one mom homeschooling children from one other family, and co-ops that meet as many as 3 times a week with several moms/families, but never two families "doing school" together every day; however, I'm sure it's been done before. Whatever works for you ~ that's what is great about homeschooling. Cool

My suggestion would be: even though you are best friends, make sure that all expectations are laid out and agreed upon before you start. Work out a plan for things like illnesses, vacations, kids who "don't play nice", and all the little things that may crop up.

Have a great time! Keep us posted!
Darktiger09
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an adult lol, but my friend's mom does that. They meet every day and do the same thing. My mom is actually thinking of doing that, and I personally love the idea. In my opinion, it will really open up opportunities for more learning and really help us in expanding our social skills and well as learning how to interact with other kids/teens in our academics.

I commend you on taking on the challenge, and wish you God's blessing in it.
PottersDaughter
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill - Thank you hun! (hope you don't mind the "hun, hun" - I'm southern. It's official now!). I think you are hitting the target in laying out the expectations! Right now the biggest thing is pinning down curriculum, and planning the home "school" area. Amidst that, we are trying to figure out what both of our strengths are, as well as our husbands. Thank you for the advice though!! Much appreciated!

Darktiger09 - Thank you for the blessing! It's needed! It's SOOOOOOO neat and rather a surprise to see actual homeSCHOOLED students on this forum! I expected to see only moms/dads! Very encouraging to hear all sides!!!
Jill
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hun is fine...I'm from the south too. Cool
Darktiger09
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no problem, I noticed that as well and figured I might as well be a pioneer then lol! I am only 14, so I wasn't sure if I was breaking the rules by posting here, but i haven't been banned yet so I guess I'm okay! Very Happy

God bless!
hollyb
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: So far so good? Reply with quote

Just wondering how the planning has gone thus far? Have you guys started yet? Would love to hear how it's going.
holly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: