Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GraceRules
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: New Here Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi!

My name is Carrie and I have two kids, my daughter is almost 7 and my son is almost 5. I didn't choose homeschooling, rather it became the default option.

I had my daughter in a christian school for kindergarten and about half-way through the year I came to realize they held some very unique doctrinal beliefs about salvation and the christian life. These beliefs didn't quite line up with the Bible so I knew I had to get her out of there. Public school was never really an option for me, so I found myself trying to learn as much as I could about homeschooling. She will begin 2nd grade in the fall.

I look forward to talking to everyone here and getting to know you!
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carrie,

Welcome! I am beginning homeschooling in the fall as well. I have two boys 9 1/2 and 6 1/2. When is your child's birthday? My son will turn 7 on August 24. He will be beginning 2nd grade as well.

Alisa
sparkie12
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Hello!! Reply with quote

Hello, GraceRules!! Great screen name!!

Homeschooling is kinda a default option for us too though I am thoroughly enjoying it. Really the default problem just caused me to research homeschool and entertain the thought of doing it. Now there is no way I cannot homeschool. The research I did and the experimenting which I have been doing in regards to homeschooling has just been a blessing to me and my children. We will officially begin Kindergarten in the fall. Right now we are just "playing" around with different things until I make a decision on what to do about curriculum.

Glad you are here and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Blessings, Robin
Blessed are they that hear the Word of GOD and keep it. Luke 11:28
AprilP
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! My name is April and I have 4 children, ages 7, 4, 3, and 2. I've already posted a few times and have gotten some great responses. I really wanted to homeschool initially, but I didn't think it was practical in my situation. When my oldest daughter was entering kinder, I also had an infant and two toddlers at home. I could hardly focus on educating her when everytime I turned around, the others were fighting over a toy, peeing on the floor, running into a wall, etc. Come to think of it, they still do those things but I guess I handle it better because I'm not post-partum, lol. Although I'm sure it can be done, I wasn't confident enough to do it. So I sent her to public school and she did fine, but I really didn't like the way school seems to want to take over the role of parenting, giving the children somewhat of a "moral compass". That's my job. The beliefs and values that my husband and I are trying to instill in our children are being contradicted every day at school. I also really want to be able to customize her curriculum.
So this will be our first year homeschooling and I'm very excited. I love all the support and info on the forum. I look forward to learning from all of you. Very Happy
renecoston
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: I'm new, too! Reply with quote

Hi there, everyone!

I joined last week, I believe it was, and have made a few posts already. There seem to be a lot of knowledgable people on here! We are just starting homeschooling this fall, too, with my younger daughter starting 3rd grade. I didn't want to use a boxed curriculum, but I have fallen in LOVE with A Beka's stuff, and am trying to get as much of it as I can lay my hands on!! I agree with what April says about the schools trying to take over the role of parent - around where I live they act as though they are above us all and we have to bow down to them! I refuse, and they are not teaching the morals I want my daughter to learn.

Anyway, just thought I'd jump in and say hello!

Rene in Massachusetts Smile
GraceRules
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alisarussell wrote:
Hi Carrie,

Welcome! I am beginning homeschooling in the fall as well. I have two boys 9 1/2 and 6 1/2. When is your child's birthday? My son will turn 7 on August 24. He will be beginning 2nd grade as well.

Alisa

Hi Alisa,

My daughter will turn 7 on Aug. 9. Maybe we can compare notes. What curriculum will you be using?
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm using for my son, Carrie.

Math--> Math U See
Language Arts --> either Winter Promise LA or LLATL
Science --> Homeschool Science by Stratton House
American History --> Winter Promise American Story 1

What are you going to use for your daughter?

Alisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: