Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Starting Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkie12
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Just Starting Out Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum and am really impressed with the way that it is set up. Cool I have been in a couple of other homeschool forums and have had difficulty making connections.

My name is Robin and I have 4 sons. Justin is 18 yrs. old, Grant is 13 yrs. old, Bryce is 5 yrs. old, and Blaine is 3.5 yrs. old. My oldest two just moved in with their dad (my ex) last summer due to school issues and the younger two are at home with me and their dad. The school district that we are in is just etrocious. Mad

I grew up in a private school with a family that put alot of "stock" in the word education. Though I always made the grade, I never really retained much of the information until I was grown and started to learn about things that really interested me. I never, ever thought I would be a homeschooling mother. Homeschoolers were weird, I thought. Well, now I know they are because I am one. Very Happy

This homeschooling thing is definitely a divine appointment for me. Some folks at my church homeschool and I thought, I can't do that. No way. Then I got bored one day and started doing research. I was really looking for more reasons not to homeschool than I was to support that homeschooling could actually work. I was suprised to say the least. After about 6 months of research, there was no way that I could not not homeschool. The advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.

Then I started wondering if I could be dedicated and consistent with it. So I started an experiment with my then 4 year old. I started buying workbooks and letters and counters and just started working with him about an hour a day 4 days a week. That was about 9 months ago and today I have a five year old boy who is actually reading simple words. I am amazed. I said I would never homeschool and now GOD has brought to it. HE'll see me through it too, of that I am sure.

I am glad to be here and looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Blessings, Robin Laughing
Blessed are they that hear the Word of GOD and keep it. Luke 11:28
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I am beginning homeschooling in the fall as well. I have 6 1/2 (will be 7 when we start) and 9 year old boys. It is true about the advantages. I have been researching this since the end of March, and it is truly going to be a blessing to our family. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Alisa
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie, I too homeschool from divine appointment. I kept saying not yet, He kept saying then what about this problem... This was my first year and it was great, I never looked back and if you ask my oldest, (Cool if he wants to go to school next you will get a very strong, NO WAY!! I know it's not for everyone, but when it is, you KNOW it!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
GraceRules
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just awesome to see God work in your life and take you from a position then turn your thinking around 180 degrees? Woohoo!! I have to say homeschooling for me was also the divine default option too. I NEVER considered homeschooling. I too thought homeschooling was weird and just didn't think I had the patience for it. Then one day I realized my daughter was in a private school that was teaching some very unique views of the Bible and salvation. I had to get her out of there, but public school was not an option. Suddenly I realized I had to homeschool. Who'd have guessed? Now after a year and a half. I am even more convinced this is the path that God laid out before me.

I also have to comment on teaching your son to read. When I pulled my daughter, she was reading simple 3 letter words and was rather shakey at it. By the time we ended her kindergarten year, she was reading beginner readers and picture books. Knowing I taught her to read, and to see the excitement on her face after reading her first book, is PRICELESS. That alone was such a gift. I am so glad I didn't give that gift to some stranger.

Blessings and welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: