Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best homeschool Spanish program?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austindad
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Best homeschool Spanish program? Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and wanted to know what people thought was the best home-school package for teaching Spanish to younger kids (5-7 years)?
I have heard a lot of good things about the Risas y Sonrisas SpanishforKids program (http://www.spanishforkids.com) and wondered if anyone had ever used that program? It seems like you get a lot for your money at least and it's well put together.
Thanks!
gizzy
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any background in Spanish at all?

I tend to think that less is more, sometimes. I am not too familiar with Risas y Sonrisas program, but I intend to check it out as I am constantly looking for programs and ways to help keep the kids interest in Spanish up.

I'm currently studying Spanish in College and intend to minor in the language. I've done self study of the language in the past.

I wouldn't recommend to rigid of a program for 5-7 year olds. Its more important that they speak and understand spoken Spanish first, if this is their first introduction to the language.

This is a book I've checked out from the Library several times and am building my own little curriculum from for use with my 3 bambinos, ages 4-8.
http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Beginners-Passports-Languages/dp/0844216070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272466031&sr=1-1

As you can see, its older but very affordable and I intend to invest in obtaining my own copy when I have the money. Right now, I'm utterly broke.

You can use one of those "My first 10/5/1-hundred words in Spanish" books to supplement for vocabulary.

Also, check out this book.
http://www.amazon.com/Play-Learn-Spanish-Book-Audio/dp/0071441484/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272466346&sr=1-7

It's another book I have had my eye on for quite a while, its great for learning everyday Spanish that parents use with their kids. Keep in mind, being a home-schooling parent, means that you are responsible for your child's education.

Text and tapes are tools that teach, but we get our education from those around us and in the weirdest of ways. I learn compassion from my parents (especially dad) always being willing to work with and help people. I learned money management from watching my parents save and spend according to the family plan and conserve when we had a goal to reach.

Use imagination, creativity, patience, patience, time wisely, patience, and of course, patience. Bigger is hardly ever better.

So, Risas y Sonrisas looks interesting and engaging, but have you considered other programs and alternatives? What programs have you put together and what program are you making for your kids? Whats the plan to get the family talking and playing in Spanish?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the one you mentioned.

I have read many good comments about Speedy Spanish.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: