Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching credential?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ardeur
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Teaching credential? Reply with quote

I have a BS degree in Mathematics. Do you think it would be "safer" if I got my teaching credential (I really don't want to) before I start homeschooling my children?

My mom has pressured me for years saying it would be safer, legally, if I got my credentials. She believes it would give me protection against people who'll try to "turn me in." *sigh* Maybe she's just a little paranoid. I really don't want to bother with it, and I *really* don't want to teach in a classroom, even if it were temporary.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have a college degree!! You do not need anything else! I have lots of friends who homeschool their children just fine with a high school diploma only.

Tell your mom to not worry!
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better yet, show her the your state's homeschool laws. and that you are meeting the requirements of your state and not to worry, homeschooling is legal and you are not breaking any laws.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might or might not be "safer."

Many years ago in a state which shall remain unnamed, a public school official got it into his head to try and get legislation passed which would have made homeschooling illegal under *any* circumstances, even in those where the parents were credentialed teachers. Homeschoolers in that state were on the ball and reacted quickly, and the legislator who had been approached about introducing this bill suddenly became too busy and the whole thing went away.

At any rate, don't bother. Most states already have good homeschooling laws which don't require parents to be credentialed teachers. Spend your time doing something more productive, like, you know, teaching your dc at home. Smile And tell your mother NO. Do it sweetly, because she loves you and she's your mother, but she'll keep nagging you about it until you look her in the eyeball and tell her outright that you have no intention of working on your credential.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in California, so all you have to do is enroll your children in an umbrella school, which takes care of the legal aspects and recordkeeping and leaves you to homeschool more or less however you want. You don't have to be an accredited teacher.
roma
User

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to HSLDA, homeschool children do better on college entrance exams than the public school children. So educators having teaching credentials does not seem to be too important.
http://www.hslda.org/docs/media/200508/200508190.asp

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the homeschool venue. Here are the reasons they give:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Thinking-About-Homeschooling?-Teachers-Are&id=2499296
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: