Nervous about first year of HS

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

als907
User

Nervous about first year of HS

Postby als907 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi,
After getting fed up with our local school system, my husband and I have decided to home school our children. I am really nervous about the upcoming year. I have been reading everything I can find for help. I just don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:25 pm

You'll do fine! Be confident and flexible, that was the best advice I got when I started this past year. Then read all the posts, we really cover just about everything. :lol:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:13 pm

There is no one piece of advice, just read as much as you can, and educate yourself as much as possible. There are lots of great resources out on the internet, the more informed you are the easier the transition will be.

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:49 am

als907,

What would be worse, you making a few mistakes learning how to home school or leaving your kids in public school?
You can do this, but it will take time and effort on your part. It is a full time job, but also blessed with full-time rewards.
I assume you have checked into your state's legal requirements to home school and also picked a curriculum to use. If not, those are your first two considerations. Find a homeschool support group in your area, too. You will need the encouragement from others.
Also, you will face the adjustment time of dealing with your childrens previous education in a traditional school setting. They will miss their friends and have to learn to respect you as their teacher. It all will take time, but don't give up.
They are your children and God will help you know how to best teach them. Read everything you can to help you be more informed.
Let me know if I can help with any other questions. God bless.
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Don't be hard on yourself.

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:43 pm

If I had to pick one thing that helped me the most this past year, it would be "don't be afraid to change in the middle of the school year". We changed how we were doing history and science, how our schedule worked, so much stuff. We still got all our work done, we finished earlier than I thought we would, and we are all doing ok. I'm kind of going "ack" at getting ready for next year, but I'm not going to actually get anything until after church camp. (the 19th -23rd of June). It was quite the ride, and I'm so grateful we did it! I hope you will be too!

als907
User

curriculim

Postby als907 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:57 pm

the only thng that i have not decided on is a curriculim - there are so many different ones, just not sure which would work better for me. I have one daughter goin to 4th grade and another daughter goin into 5th grade. Any suggestions that would work better for them?
Thanks again for all the help
Kelly

birdy
User

Postby birdy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 am

I just started (we're going year round)...

I found a cirriculum dealer who was a resonable drive away who carried all sorts of cirriculum.

I went to her on a mutually agreeable day. Brought work from my kids and we went to town pulling stuff off shelves, etc.

I had a great time and feel really confident with my choices. The kids have enjoyed it too. I also visited all the homeschool families I could and looked at their first so I went to the cirric store with ideas of what I liked.

mjnicholas
User

Re: curriculim

Postby mjnicholas » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:00 pm

als907 wrote:the only thng that i have not decided on is a curriculim - there are so many different ones, just not sure which would work better for me. I have one daughter goin to 4th grade and another daughter goin into 5th grade. Any suggestions that would work better for them?
Thanks again for all the help
Kelly

I would suggest Sonlight curriculum because it seems like it would be a good one to use with children so close in learning abilities.

swera
User

Postby swera » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:42 am

Some states do require that you have a high school diploma or better to homeschool, or have someone supervising who has a teaching degree. Missouri isn't one of them, however, though I don't know if you're on our side of Kansas City or the Kansas side? I can look up the Kansas regulations if you're Kansas side.
Join online french language learning and learn german fast Best Wishes.

Return to “Getting Started”