Newbie with lots of questions

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mom2five
User

Newbie with lots of questions

Postby mom2five » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm

We are considering pulling our first grader out of public school at the end of the year and home schooling him. I believe that we are required to provide a certain number of education hours in my state and I'm wondering if I can include summer activities as second grade. For example, he will be going to a zoo camp that will cover some of the things in the science curriculum that I'm considering. Are soccer camp, fishing and camping considered physical education? Is a trip to an historical site part of history class? We do many educational activities all year as part of our family life. Should I record it all as an overall record of my child's education?

My other question is scheduling. Most people say they only spend about 3 hours a day with a second grader doing book work. How do you schedule that? How long do you spend on each subject and how many days per week do you do each subject? One of my son's big complaints about his school is that they never have field trips or hands on activities and he wants more of them. I've identified a whole list of places we could go that would relate to our studies and I'd like to leave afternoons for field trips, special classes or co-op activities. How do I fit the other work into 3 hours?

Also, do you find your lives less stressed or more stressed while homeschooling? Some say it's stressful but worth it, but a surprising number of my homeschooling friends (including those with large families) say that homeschooling opens up their evening for Scouts, sports, church and other activities without the stress of homework or things like teacher conferences. My husband knows that when I do something like this I do it well, but he's afraid it might be too stressful on me (and the rest of the family by default).

elliemaejune
User

Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 am

mom2five
User

Postby mom2five » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 am

easyhomeschooling
User

Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Postby easyhomeschooling » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

Return to “Getting Started”