Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with lots of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mom2five
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Newbie with lots of questions Reply with quote

We are considering pulling our first grader out of public school at the end of the year and home schooling him. I believe that we are required to provide a certain number of education hours in my state and I'm wondering if I can include summer activities as second grade. For example, he will be going to a zoo camp that will cover some of the things in the science curriculum that I'm considering. Are soccer camp, fishing and camping considered physical education? Is a trip to an historical site part of history class? We do many educational activities all year as part of our family life. Should I record it all as an overall record of my child's education?

My other question is scheduling. Most people say they only spend about 3 hours a day with a second grader doing book work. How do you schedule that? How long do you spend on each subject and how many days per week do you do each subject? One of my son's big complaints about his school is that they never have field trips or hands on activities and he wants more of them. I've identified a whole list of places we could go that would relate to our studies and I'd like to leave afternoons for field trips, special classes or co-op activities. How do I fit the other work into 3 hours?

Also, do you find your lives less stressed or more stressed while homeschooling? Some say it's stressful but worth it, but a surprising number of my homeschooling friends (including those with large families) say that homeschooling opens up their evening for Scouts, sports, church and other activities without the stress of homework or things like teacher conferences. My husband knows that when I do something like this I do it well, but he's afraid it might be too stressful on me (and the rest of the family by default).
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with lots of questions Reply with quote

mom2five wrote:
We are considering pulling our first grader out of public school at the end of the year and home schooling him. I believe that we are required to provide a certain number of education hours in my state and I'm wondering if I can include summer activities as second grade. For example, he will be going to a zoo camp that will cover some of the things in the science curriculum that I'm considering. Are soccer camp, fishing and camping considered physical education? Is a trip to an historical site part of history class? We do many educational activities all year as part of our family life. Should I record it all as an overall record of my child's education?

It would be good for you to verify the laws in your state. If we knew that, we could give you the direct link to Home School Legal Defense Association's analysis of your state's law. Smile

You might or might not need to count any hours during the summer, depending on the laws in your state. Yes, soccer, fishing and camping could certainly be considered p.e., although you might not need to count those, either. Yes, you probably can count everything you do as part of your child's education...depending on the laws in your state, because some states which have a requirement for hours also require portfolios of some kind to "prove" the hours, and some don't.

Quote:
My other question is scheduling. Most people say they only spend about 3 hours a day with a second grader doing book work. How do you schedule that? How long do you spend on each subject and how many days per week do you do each subject? One of my son's big complaints about his school is that they never have field trips or hands on activities and he wants more of them. I've identified a whole list of places we could go that would relate to our studies and I'd like to leave afternoons for field trips, special classes or co-op activities. How do I fit the other work into 3 hours?

I would expect a 7yo child to spend no longer than three hours of formal bookwork daily. Scheduling isn't a big deal: you start at whatever time you want to, and let your dc either finish his seatwork, however long that takes, or you let him work for, oh, 20 or 30 minutes and stop him. It's your call. Personally, with a 7yo, I wouldn't try to do field trips only in the afternoon; I'd do them in the moring. In fact, when my dc were your ds's age, we left the house every Thursday for a field trip. (We didn't do co-op or homeschool classes). Anyway, if you decide to do it that way, you just work until lunch time then put everything away and leave the house. No biggie.

Quote:
Also, do you find your lives less stressed or more stressed while homeschooling?

Yes. Laughing
Quote:
Some say it's stressful but worth it, but a surprising number of my homeschooling friends (including those with large families) say that homeschooling opens up their evening for Scouts, sports, church and other activities without the stress of homework or things like teacher conferences. My husband knows that when I do something like this I do it well, but he's afraid it might be too stressful on me (and the rest of the family by default).

Homeschooling is a stressful as *you* make it. Really.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this link and read the homeschooling law for your state -

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

You should be able to easily fit a 2nd grader's book work and written work into 3 hours. I have a 2nd grader right now and he likes to get his work done quickly, so it is usually less than 3 hours. He is a book worm so he reads on his own throughout the day also.

I personally think that homeschooling is way less stress on our family than when my children were in school. I had to wake them up at the crack of dawn, pack lunches, nag them to get ready, rush to get there on time, deal with homework every day, etc. Homeschooling is so laid back. Your kids can sleep late. They can always be well rested and well fed. You make your own schedule so you are not stressed about meeting the school's schedule.

If done properly, homeschooling is a big responsibility and it is hard work. But you don't have to be stressed about it or stress your family out either. If you spend a lot of time in preparation each summer, your school year should go smoothly.
mom2five
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My state requires 900 hours of instruction, certain subjects and either testing or portfolio assessment by a certified teacher. I think I will be using portfolio assessment which is why I wondered about documenting all our educational activities throughout the year.

I really want to do this, but I'm still trying to get up the courage to take the step, so I hope you don't mind if I come back asking all kinds of questions!
easyhomeschooling
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with lots of questions Reply with quote

I think you are on the right track! You are way ahead of the game! This is exactly what I suggest for high school and it's called "keeping credits".. to record credit hours in each required subject!

It sounds to me like you will be putting plenty of time in without the "3" hours, however you could do some reading aloud and/or narration... in fact the naration would be perfect for after the outside activities.

I do not think a person such as yourself will find it stressful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: