Home Schooling and Sports

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

gonetocarolina
User

Home Schooling and Sports

Postby gonetocarolina » Tue May 02, 2006 11:12 am

Theodore

Re: Home Schooling and Sports

Postby Theodore » Tue May 02, 2006 12:58 pm

We've been a part of the neighborhood swim team for some time, and one of my brothers was in the local high school swim team (Rockwood, which happens to be nationally ranked). That's about the limit of our team sports, however. None of us were ever really interested in football, baseball, basketball, etc, though we have done a lot of Tae Kwon Do, and Civil Air Patrol involves quite a bit of PT (mile runs, shuttle run, and so on) and has physical competition as well as educational when all the squadrons get together.

If you want to do sports outside of the local schools, I suggest checking with the homeschool groups in your area to see if any of them offer sports. Even if they don't, you could always organize a sports team yourself. And the following organizations offer homeschool sports in NC:

http://www.christiancommunitysports.com
http://www.homeschoolcrusaders.net
http://www.cheagd.org/cheagd/athletics/region8.cfm
Last edited by Theodore on Sun May 21, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Thu May 11, 2006 8:38 am

My 7 year old daughter does Karate, and both my children swim. When they are old enough, both will join the swim team. In my area, there are also soccer teams available through the city. There are plenty of sports teams available to children-most are NOT through the schools.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu May 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

leadingmom
User

Postby leadingmom » Fri May 12, 2006 8:06 pm

Working from Home, Putting Family First!
www.momswin.com/wadeacres

Ruftybear
User

Postby Ruftybear » Sun May 21, 2006 6:36 am

My 13 year old daughter has been doing karate for over 3 years. We are fortunate that the dojo she goes to organises some great social activities as well as the sporting aspect. They have everything from teen socials to holiday camps, and many of the children are friends outside the dojo as well. My daughter has made some lovely friend there. She also teaches, so that adds to her confidence and is another type of learning for her.

This is the only thing she is interested in at present, but she is there 4 or 5 days a week, so that is probably enough at the moment.

She also did squad swimming for 5 years, but didn't like the social side of it. She found that there wasn't time to talk or make a lot of friends.

There are lots of great sports which don't have to be done at school. Maybe your husband could look into it a little more.

homeschooledguy
User

sports and having fun

Postby homeschooledguy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:30 am

" Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. "
-- Roger Lewin

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”