Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alabama homeschool laws

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimAmy
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Alabama homeschool laws Reply with quote

We are considering relocating to Alabama in the next few years. We have looked at the homeschool laws and they appear to be a bit complicated. Can anyone give me some insight into how things work down there. We are in Illinois and have no restirictions all. Thanks so much for any help.

Amy
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're teacher certified, you'll probably be choosing the church school option. Under those rules, you just sign up under a church umbrella school and continue homeschooling -

- Notification is once only, when you start your enrollment in the school
- The principal teacher (in this case you) keeps a daily attendance register

That's it, there are no other requirements. Seems a lot easier than most states.
JimAmy
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Alabama Law Reply with quote

I have been looking at the list if AL church schools for homeschooling, the church schools themselves have some requirements that are very stringent. Any comments from anyone using an AL church school? I have looked at several and they all appear to have the same requirements. Just curious
rocketcitymama
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind what a church school is, is VERY loosely defined. I started my own "church school" with my synagogue since no Jewish church school option, as far as I could tell, existed in the state of Alabama.

Pretty much starting a church school is to get a "church or group of churches" to simply decide that it exists and agreeing to keep a record of attendance (which parents submit themselves) and agreeing to inform the public school system if the child is withdrawn.

There are numerous other cover schools that are, as law requires, linked to a church, but do not require church membership or a signed statement of faith. Many are for all intents and purposes secular.

It may seem a bit strange, but the way it works out in reality actually enables an enormous amount of freedom to the homeschooler.

Critics argue that it disables the state from assuring all children are being adequately educated, but I'll take that risk in order to preserve parental freedom when it comes to educating their own children.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: