Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some (probably irrational!) fears...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana80
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Some (probably irrational!) fears... Reply with quote

Wont be starting homeschooling for a few years yet, my son is only 2, but we're sure that this is what we want to do. Very excited about it Very Happy

I just have three worries that I can't shake:

- What if he asks to go to school? what if he doesn't want to homeschool?

- How will I do it with a toddler (we're hoping to try for another baby later this year) and a school aged child. Do you coordinate your time well with naps or get an extra set of hands? My son is such a full time job I can't imagine successfully educating another child while trying to care for him. I do have a good support network so could arrange some one on one time every day if we needed it but would love to hear what others have done. Oh, and I know some of you have 4 kids or more and are homeschooling all of them. You are AMAZING!

- Do you miss having time to pursue your own goals as a person, not just a parent?

A lot of this is related to my own experiences I think. I'm an only child who was homeschooled by full time working parents in the country. I overwhelmingly enjoyed the homeschooling experience but I was achingly lonely and when I did meet kids my age I couldn't interact with them. My parents, because of their schedules etc weren't able to provide me with regular social contact. I honestly don't think they thought it was important. Most of my school work was done alone in a room. I very rarely had either parent work through any of it with me and when they did it was in rushed or tired times so they were always angry.

I know this will be different for my son, I will be a full time Mum and my fiancee and I are passionate about making sure he has access to all the hobbies he wants outside the home. Still, I worry that he'll see the other kids going to school and want to go. Paranoia maybe? Wink

As for the last worry - I love being a mother, I adore it more than life itself and I would do anything for my son. But I do still crave some time out and have goals I want to achieve. I think I can work all of these in around homeschooling no worries - my children will be my priority. But now and I again I do freak out that I wont have any regular time 'out' for the next 16 or so years!

Reassurance?? Very Happy
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Some (probably irrational!) fears... Reply with quote

Quote:
- What if he asks to go to school? what if he doesn't want to homeschool?

I am always of the mindset that I know what is right for my children and they will be content with what is going on around them if I am happy with the situation too. In my opinion as long as you portray homschooling in a positive light and like it is no different than a private or public school, just a different choice than those, then he will be happy with where he is.

Quote:
- How will I do it with a toddler (we're hoping to try for another baby later this year) and a school aged child. Do you coordinate your time well with naps or get an extra set of hands? My son is such a full time job I can't imagine successfully educating another child while trying to care for him. I do have a good support network so could arrange some one on one time every day if we needed it but would love to hear what others have done. Oh, and I know some of you have 4 kids or more and are homeschooling all of them. You are AMAZING!

I have 2 school aged and 2 under school aged so when #3 starts school my youngest will just be hitting the toddler years. Currently, #3 is only 2 so he takes up a lot of time, but we just work around him. We make him part of our days and since there are only 2 yrs between #3 and #4 I am hoping eventually to have them in the same grade for as many subjects as possible.

Quote:
- Do you miss having time to pursue your own goals as a person, not just a parent?Very Happy

As far as my own personal goals...I have never let my kids stop me from doing what I wanted to do. However, I am a full time Stay at home mom and have never really wanted to be or have ever been anything else so my life pretty much revolves around my kids. I am lucky in the fact that my older two kids are old enough to babysit now, but that just started and for the last 15 yrs my life revolved around theirs.

As long as parenting is what you want to do with your life and you don't resent being a parent everything will work out fine. Just remember that childhood is a temporary condition so enjoy each day you have with them. Someday they will be adults and won't need you anymore!
Jill
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, ncmom did a very good job overall answering your questions.
I would add that my husband was concerned about "me time"for me when we were making the decision to homeschool. He is very good about letting me "get out" when I need to. I go on regular "girls nights" with friends, go to the grocery by myself from time to time, and he will take the kids out for breakfast on Saturdays just so I can have a little time at home alone. My kids are older now, so it's not as difficult and they aren't as demanding and time consuming.
Like ncmom said...you'll only have them for a window of time. Enjoy it!
Best wishes!
Nirvana80
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the answers. All true. I think it just seems more overwhelming when you haven't started yet, as in my case! Shocked

I'm sure that when we do get going it will be great Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: