Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tables: "Knowing" is not enough.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheepdog
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Tables: "Knowing" is not enough. Reply with quote

When kids "learn" their tables, they, of course, must crawl before they walk.

But how many are ever challenged to proceed to running?

Point to a child's sibling. Ask "What is his/her name?" The child will look puzzled, but answer.

Now ask "What is 5x7?" Again, I hope, the child will (eventually) answer.

Now say....

"Yes... it is 35. But you couldn't answer that... yet... the way you answered the first question. WITH PRACTICE you can get to the point where you can answer that fast. But it takes a little time to get out of several bad habits... e.g. repeating the question (out loud or in mind) and prefacing the answer with a time buying/ wasting "um".

Hope you will give your learners a chance to see how skilful they can become.

Tom
ClassicLearning
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my son loves the fact that by the middle of 3rd grade he could rattle off any multiplication problem from 1x1 to 13x13 as fast as he could say his name. What's so wonderful to me is that he needed no encouragement, just good old fashion self motivated challenge. Laughing
Sheepdog
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my son loves the fact that by the middle of 3rd grade he could rattle off any multiplication problem

Many children would take great delight in having the skill, being able to do this "party trick".

But for many, it takes an adult they care about showing an interest. It takes teachers no turning something which CAN be fun unto something that is hated before it has progressed to the point where it can be enjoyed.

For some reason, "doing flash cards" with a computer is easier for many kids than doing them with a human. Maybe it is the computer's lack of emotional response to wrong answers? My Windows freeware and shareware mostly lacks "sugar" to help the "pill"... but with a little encouragement from adults, kids can use it to make progress.

http://www.arunet.co.uk/tkboyd/offers1t.htm

...also known as...

http://tinyurl.com/SheepdogOffers
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoyed competing against someone, but that could be because I'm male - studies show that as a whole, boys are motivated by competition and girls are happy to study on their own. Of course, I also enjoyed multiplying 30-digit numbers by hand, so maybe I'm just odd period.
David Brown
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with tables it's important that they know why 5 X 7 is 35 not just that it is 35.
judyhanning
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is best that you be there to learn the tables with him. Knowing that you are there for your child is already a boost confidence for them.
dkocur
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Brown wrote:
I think with tables it's important that they know why 5 X 7 is 35 not just that it is 35.

Agreed. I get so frustrated when I see people "take sides" on how to teach math facts (memorization vs. comprehension). Both are essential.
naturalist4
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkocur wrote:
Agreed. I get so frustrated when I see people "take sides" on how to teach math facts (memorization vs. comprehension). Both are essential.

I agree...If they only memorize the facts it will be harder for them to do harder problems in the future; if they only comprehend them they will have the same problem in a different way.
sgottlieb
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has always puzzled me that students say they need a calculator or pencil and paper to find the answer to to 98*5 + 2*5. You are adding 5's, you have 98+2 5's. The answer should easily be seen to be 500.
http://www.mathtutor1.com/calculus_3_dvd.htm
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, if you have some experience looking at problems that way. Knowledge of how to do 98 x 5 and 2 x 5 in your head doesn't necessarily extend to realizing it's the same as (98 + 2) x 5.

David - knowing why basic math works is important, but multiplication is easy to demonstrate using manipulatives, and once it's been demonstrated once, that's all you need to know. You don't need to keep thinking about the "why". Memorization is arguably more important because it takes up the bulk of the time in basic math, and provides the big speed advantages in more advanced material. In Calculus, you are bombarded with formulas, most of which aren't explained until Calculus II. Physics has formulas that aren't explained until you take Calculus 1. The important thing is arriving at the correct answer with 100% accuracy and a high degree of speed - the "why" only matters if you don't remember the formula and have to derive it on your own.
sgottlieb
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore, I disagree with you about whether or not a student should know what 98*5+2*5 is equal to. EVERY algebra student should know that 98x+2x =100x. All the above problem did was say what x is. Yes!, every (and I mean every) student should know the answer immediately. You have to have some standards in the classroom. I ALWAYS tell my students 'if it always works for letters it must always work for numbers, if it doesn't work for all numbers it doesn't work for all letters'.
http://www.mathtutor1.com/calculus_3_dvd.htm
Alicelewis11
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I fully agree with you that Every Algebra student and also other student who good in Math subject must know the answer of 98*5+2*5. I think i give answer of this question which 500. Some student are very good in Math and they see the question and quickly give answer, not take time to write. It's my personal experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: