Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math curriculum choices for 2nd grade. Help!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedashwood
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Math curriculum choices for 2nd grade. Help!!!!! Reply with quote

Has anyone any experience or know of anyone who has experience with MASTERING MATHEMATICS by Letz Farmer? Its supposedly for grades 1 thru 6. We are currently using Horizons math for 1st and we like it somewhat, but it is very flashy and very dependent on me (the teacher). I have 2 other highly “active” children that vacuume my time and I would prefer something less distracting, a little more student independent, yet similar in scope and sequence to horizons. We are going to finish Horizons 1st for this year, but for next year, I hope to switch. The Mastering Mathematics looks wonderful at a glance, but it is not spiral – its sequential mastery. ( I know there are pros and cons to both.) There are also Making Math Meaningful, and Miquon Math. I am overwhelmed! Everyting gets good reviews! Ahh!!! Shocked Please share your experiences with any of these! Thanks!
Jill
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Mastering Math with both my kids - one average math student who came out of ps in 2nd grade and was really struggling in math and one "math mind" who started with Mastering Math in K. I started the second grader on page 1, and we worked quickly to master the skills that were covered.

I finished the program with both kids. One finished at the end of 6th grade and my other one finished mid-5th. My older went into Teaching Textbooks 7 because it seemed like it would be a review and I wanted to build her confidence in math. She blew through it and made an A on every lesson. The younger went directly into Pre-Algebra (didn't need the confidence building as much), again, no problems.

Check out my more detailed review here http://www.homeschool-by-design.com/mastering-mathematics.html. I haven't updated it since my 2nd child finished. I need to. Some of my friends feel it doesn't provide enough practice problems. Overall, it gets a THUMBS UP from me based on the results I got with my kids. It's no frills and covers what they need to know for 1-6 grade at a VERY reasonable price per year.

Best wishes!
bedashwood
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Your reply was very helpful! thanks!
pecangrove
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to switch math it would probably be to CLE math or Rod and Staff. They both seem like less-distracting layouts, so you may want to take a look at them.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the CLE Christian LIght Education.

Both of my kids LOVE CLE. The math is mostly done independently.
I only have to assist a little bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: