Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

totally lost on choosing curiculum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faiths13
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: totally lost on choosing curiculum Reply with quote

i want to start hs'ing my son for 4th grade, but i am clueless as to how to build a ciriculum. can any give me some guidance please?
curranbound
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberdoodle has some good pre-packaged curriculum packs. Many new HS'ers start out with pre-packaged and then once they feel they have some experience and get more comfortable start to build their own. If you are unsure that may be a way to go to start out with.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: totally lost on choosing curiculum Reply with quote

faiths13 wrote:
i want to start hs'ing my son for 4th grade, but i am clueless as to how to build a ciriculum. can any give me some guidance please?

Well, you're going to need something for English, history, math, and science. You'll want to know what the laws are in your state, too, as that can affect what kinds of materials you might choose.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
josh_chs
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a number of curriculum companies all with different styles. Alpha Omega has student driven curriculum. Sonlight is literature based. Abeka and Bob Jones are used in classroom situations and take more teacher preparation. They are also known to be more rigorous. Apologia is known for its science & experiments. etc. etc.

1. Decide on the main subjects.
2. Figure out the style of curriculum you are looking for. Student driven, more classroom based, literature based, or a hands on approach? What would work best for your child?
3. Next find out the curriculum companies that offer this style. Take a look at some reviews of that curriculum. Possibly get a copy of Cathy Duffy and see what she has to say.
4. See if that company offers placement testing to get the right grade level. Otherwise look at the scope & sequence to find where your student is at.
5. Get your curriculum, and see how it works. Don't be afraid to make changes if it's not working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: