Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transitioning from public school to homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janet Tatman
User

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Transitioning from public school to homeschooling Reply with quote

Wondering what problems and/or successful ideas others had for transitioning their kids from public school to homeschooling.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most common method is just to give your kids a "detox" period of a few weeks to a couple months, assuming of course they aren't ready to go immediately. This also has the happy side effect of allowing more time to explore extracurricular and curriculum options.
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our detox consisted of me yelling and my daughter crying every day for over a month. Then, as if by magic, she and I suddenly both adjusted. We love it now, but I wish I had known about the importance of detox. I also wish I had not let my own teaching insecurities interfere initially. If the transition could be done all over again, I would spend the first month doing nothing but curled up in the bed with everyone reading a good book. Very Happy
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going through the transition right now. My oldest has done k - grade 4 in public, and our second k - grade 3. The nice thing is we decided over the summer so they have had two months of being at home so that transition will not be quit as hard. I am sure they will miss their friends and be a little 'school' sick when they see the bus stop on our driveway each morning (the bus stop). But, we are committed so we will work through it. I told them it would take me a few weeks too to get things underway so hopefully they have patience with me also.
Rita Abend
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I have been reading the home-school.com forum for over a year. I decided to homeschool our daughter last year (4 yrs old then). I received great advice (to buy Ruth Beechick's book The 3 R's) here. I am homeschooling my daughter and it is very rewarding and so far we think she is doing great and we have made the right decision.

However, what if at some point in the future, I do not think I can homeschool my daughter anymore? I realize that this may not occur. But is the transition back to a public/private school just as difficult? Is there a better grade to do this than other grades? If a subjest is too difficult to teach what do homeschool parents usually do?

Thanks,
Rita
Enjoy homeschooling, gardening, sewing
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go back to public school, it's best to do it at the start of the school year, and with everything up to grade level - some schools may hold you back even if you're behind in just one subject. As for some things being too difficult to teach, that's not likely to happen until high school, by which time you can be using tutors, community college courses, various forms of distance learning, etc. There are also many homeschool co-ops. Homeschooling does not mean you necessarily have to teach everything yourself.
Rita Abend
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Theodore,

Thanks for the information! It is very encouraging information. I am concerned about teaching high school subjects that were not my favorites when I was in school! It is good to know that there are alternatives to me teaching all of these subjects. Right now I am homeschooling and loving it!

Thanks,
Rita Abend
Enjoy homeschooling, gardening, sewing
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the more common things that i have heard about transitioning from public school to homeschooling is taking a time off, it gives the children a time to adjust to a new lifestyle, and letting them understand the fact that learning can be done at home...
marhtaE
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: I can not each my child i don't have the education Reply with quote

where can I find people who can homeschool my kids?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: