Does anyone here do Charlotte Mason?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JenniferSylvie
User

Does anyone here do Charlotte Mason?

Postby JenniferSylvie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:36 pm

I've been researching different teaching techniques and think that I would like to follow a Charlotte Mason style of teaching my son. Does anyone here use this style? Any suggestions for using it?
Jennifer

Christinethecurious
User

I do..sort of

Postby Christinethecurious » Tue May 02, 2006 8:14 am

Ch

JenniferSylvie
User

Postby JenniferSylvie » Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Jennifer

easyhomeschooling
User

Charlotte Mason Method

Postby easyhomeschooling » Sat May 06, 2006 1:33 pm

This is a great method, being literature based. One suggestion, when you read Miss Mason's books use a highlighter to mine the gold.
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

JenniferSylvie
User

Postby JenniferSylvie » Sat May 06, 2006 1:45 pm

There is alot of gold there. I've been reading her books as well as numerous others that support her teaching style.

Once again, my only real concern is how to make a portfolio or test scores to satisfy our state/local requirements. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse on this one, DS is only 3, and is not required by law to comply with anything until he is 6. I'm sure by that time, I will have plenty to show anyone who needs to see, as well, my extremely talkative child should have no problem telling anyone who will listen what he knows, LOL :D
Jennifer

easyhomeschooling
User

Planning

Postby easyhomeschooling » Sat May 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Jennifer,

Doing a plan or scope and sequence is not difficult with a literary plan like CM. See my article Homeschool Planning Techniques. You may also find the book Easy Homeschooling Techniques and the e-class Design Your Days useful.
Lorraine Curry

FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!

http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

JenniferSylvie
User

Postby JenniferSylvie » Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 am

Thanks for updating your response. I read your article and it does help to explain it a little better. I figure if I start "working" at it now I should have a basic idea by the time we are required to submit for state purposes.

I've started keeping a monthly journal where I'm listing all of Max's accomplishments as well as a list of books we are reading and "field trips" we are taking. We have annual passes to the zoo and some hands on museums. As well, we are going to the Symphony to listen to Beethovan's 5th. We have been listening to his music and a CD series that details the life of some famous composers. It's done in a great story form, so we listen to it while driving in the car. The series is called Classical Kids and is distributed by http://www.childrensgroup.com

I haven't really planned out in advance what I want to accomplish, other than a few flash cards for letters (he can recognize and knows the sounds of the letters in any order, thanks to "The Letter Factory" from Leapfrog) and numbers (he can count orally 1-10 and most of the way to 20, but still has a difficult time recognizing the written number). Lastly we are reading the childrens bible that was given to me as a child. Other than that losts of play and outdoor exploration. Oh, and alot of reading, I recently got the Complete Treasury of Paddinton Bear, and Stuart Little by E.B. White. He is enjoying these books on top of all the other books we've been reading.

Jennifer
Jennifer

homeschooledguy
User

Postby homeschooledguy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:36 am

" Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. "
-- Roger Lewin

love2bastayathomemom
User

Do you live in FL and do the CM method?

Postby love2bastayathomemom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:52 pm

If so, like the others, I'd love to hear about your record keeping!
It sounds like a couple of you are from FL as am I and have the same worries about the record keeping while doing the Charlotte M/living books curriculum let alone, the the unschooling I plan on doing for the rest which that may change too...we'll see. I'll read the other post that has the homeschool planning article too and see if that helps. It's nice to know that their are other people in the same boat!

wendi.t.momof4
User

I really like CHARLOTTE MASON

Postby wendi.t.momof4 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:02 pm

:D Hi!
I read a little on CM and I really like her method for teaching other subjects besides Reading, Writing, and Math. In the mornings I have my 3 older kids read on their own then come and narrate-or orally summarize-what they read. I also 'sneak' home schooling subjects in by reading really good books in the pm. I do NOT however, like some of her methods of teaching children to read, except for dictation. Through experience when I taught professionally and currently with my own children, I've found that using phonics, dictation-CM suggests dictation, though-and wipe boards, my kids are becoming good readers. But for the most past, I definitely like her method-it is easy and saves a lot of work sheets and planning time, economical-I don't believe in breaking the bank, and can be done anytime, anywhere.. YEAH FOR CHARLOTTE MASON AND SIMPLICITY IN HOMESCHOOLING AND 'LIVING BOOKS' :D
Wendi:-)
Jeremiah 29;11-13

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”