Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone start hs really late?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faiths13
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: anyone start hs really late? Reply with quote

my older children are 9, 11 and dss is 14. i also have a 2 yr old an 3 month old. i have always wanted to hs, but circumstances have always prevented me from doing so. i have looked into a charter school near here that is supposed to be really good. im not sure if its too late to really try to do hsing for my older kids. my 11 year old will be going into jr high and my dss into high school. im not even sure if the two oldest want to hs. i have no idea how to make a cirriculum, make sure they learn what they need to know, or even what you need to know in those grades. also, i worry they wont have social interactions. they wont go out and seek out friends around us or play with neighborhood kids, but do have friends at school. i am still learning to balance a 3 month old and high energy 2 year old, so i dont get out much, and im not sure about getting them to groups to meet others. my 9 year old is very bright and gets straight a's, and i dont want to dumb him down because i dont know what im doing. i am horrible at math and cant even help them with math homework most of the time. my 11 year old is very emotional and unfocused and is scared to go to jr high because he hears stories about getting beat up and put in trash cans. i worry that starting hs so late could cause them probs with being social too. i see benefits to hs, but i always imagined it mostly for elementry. so i guess i just really could use some guidance and advice with moms with more experience. thanks.
Mkat
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I started just last year with my then-8th grader. You can do it!

It's tough, it has fits and starts, and it will take a while to figure it out. (We are STILL figuring it out.)
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the math - see if you can find a local homeschool group or homeschool tutor to help with that. It's not essential that you be able to oversee the day-to-day math practice, since anyone third grade or beyond ought to be able to mostly self-teach himself, but someone does have to check up on the work every so often to make sure mistakes aren't being carried forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: