Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you all do for spelling? I need 3rd grade.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilovemy2bunnies
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: What do you all do for spelling? I need 3rd grade. Reply with quote

What does every one do for spelling?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What do you all do for spelling? I need 3rd grade. Reply with quote

I start spelling in grade 2. I use very simple, obvious words like dog and cat for the first lesson, to teach them what spelling is and how to do it. Then I use vocab words from their readers in grades 2 and 3.

Grade 4 I use an old Macmillan spelling book published in 1983 that I was given as a gift.

Grades 5-8 we do the National Spelling Bee, using their word book, Spell It! as well as the old ones, Paideia and Words of the Champions. We also use their website http://www.spellingbee.com/ including the weekly lessons that start sometime in September.

Ramona

Last edited by Ramona on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the www.spellingtime.com site and I customize the lessons using McGuffey's spelling book that you can get online for free.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
ilovemy2bunnies
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks....I was not sure where to get words but he really needs help with this.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Abeka because I like the phonics, even the spelling lists are done by phonics at first. Spelling for us starts in the first grade. Then in the older grades it is still done in a theme type list. I prefer this rather than just taking it out of the reading like the PS do. The books I use are set up more like they were when I was in school. I also have some software that I use sometimes but we normally don't need it.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't do spelling anymore. We do journal entries and corect spelling as we go.

AM
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading and writing help more than formal spelling instruction, imho.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you all do for spelling? I need 3rd grade. Reply with quote

ilovemy2bunnies wrote:
What does every one do for spelling?

For a traditional spelling series, I like Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff Publishers), which begins in 2nd grade.

The most comprehensive reading/spelling method, IMHO, is Spalding; its manual is the Writing Road to Reading.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past two years we have used AOP's lifepac for Language Arts (which included spelling). This year we are using Spelling Basics by Christian Liberty Press.
April in SC
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year we will be trying out Spellwell for 3rd grade.
sandyc
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Try spellingcity.com Reply with quote

Check out the free and wonderful spellingcity.com
I love this. You can use their lists or put in your own, print out work sheets, play lots of games, take tests, etc.
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just started using Rod and Staff spelling, and we love it. My son enjoys the lessons and the program is very easy to use. We're on the 3rd grade book, and he can do most of the exercises himself. Sometimes he needs a little help with the directions.

I recently heard about Spelling City, and it really is a great resource. I just type in the words and my son uses the website to play games as practice or take a pre-test. It is a really neat, and best of all - free, resource.

Carletta
JoshCHS
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your impressions of Christian Liberty spelling?
sandyc
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: We like the BJUP spelling for younger grades. Reply with quote

We like the BJUP spelling for younger grades. I like that they'll have a lot of rhyming words. E.g., jump, bump, stump, lift, sift, gift, drift. My son remembers the phonetic spelling easier when there are so many words with the same sound. It's a little like Sequential Spelling.
lovetobehome
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Spelling Power, a program for K-adult. It has worked so well for us.

It teaches spelling rules, dictionary skills, writing, vocabulary and grammar activities. Each day's activities takes 15 minutes. Five minutes to test review words, add new words, write sentences and do a fun/creative activity that reinforces the word.

My daughter loves the creativity of the program and it has worked well to retain the spellings long term.

I love it because you're not spending a week on a word your child already knows and understands how to use! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: