Wanted to share our withdrawal experience

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Meghan
User

Wanted to share our withdrawal experience

Postby Meghan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Just wanted to share the start of our adventure if anyone is interested or needs positive support to start :)

We notified the State and the Superintendent last week that we were pulling dd. These are some of the only state requirements (the last is that dd have yearly testing.)

I had thought they would notify our ps but they did not, so I sent an e-mail to the principal and cc'd it to my dd's teacher. We had a parent/teacher conference already scheduled for last night, which I opted to keep so I could discuss anything with her ps teacher that might be helpful. The principal opted to be there as well. To be honest, my dh and I were gearing up for a confrontation.

They were curious to know about my decision, but I found them extremely supportive. The principal directed me to a website about the Maine requirements.. which I had already visited but it was nice that she offered it anyway. They also let me know that dd was welcome to come to phys ed, art, and music class at the school as well. Again, I believe this is state law, but it is nice that they mentioned it. They offered to test dd if we would like to make sure she is on track (I'm still considering this but will probably decline). They repeatedly said to contact them if they could help in any way.

I just wanted to share this for anyone who is scared or nervous about dealing with the 'authorities'. I know all states, districts, and individual schools are different, but so far ours has been a very positive experience.

deerledge
User

Wonderful!

Postby deerledge » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16 am

I'm glad things went so well. What school system in Maine? We are in RSU21 down in southern Maine. They also were very supportive of us homeschooling our 7th grader.

RaysHomeschool
User

Postby RaysHomeschool » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 am

That is great that they were so supportive! When we pulled our dd out it was quick with no fan-fare or questions. I just walked up and said that I was going to homeschool her and they said ok, fill this out. I guess I was expecting them to care a bit more about my daughter, lol.
Visit www.RaysHomeschool.com for tips, tricks, advice, and a look into the life of a homeschooling family.

Return to “Getting Started”