Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello to all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaMom
User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Hello to all. Reply with quote

I am a mother of 3 girls (10, 14, 17). I am thinking of homeschooling my 10 year old for the next school year. I have to decide on what curriculum(s) to begin with.
FrankD
User

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm here for the same information (to start with).

Instead of adding another thread, I'll just add on to this one with my own hello.

I'm a 33-year-old dad who stays at home during the day with my almost 2-year-old boy, then goes off to work when mommy comes home. I get home around 2:30 AM and he's usually up by 7, raring to go. Sleep is for the weak. Smile

My wife is actually a public school teacher, and I'm kind of stunned she's OK with the idea of me teaching my son. I'm not sure if I want to do this all his school years or not, or just give him a real head start before I can send him to Catholic school.

My wife also realizes that the problems with the public schools aren't always the teachers - her hands are tied a lot of the time - but in the administrators who use the schools as a lab for their experiments, and all the overpampered adults who will sue at the drop of a hat.

I'm looking to see how I can start gearing my son's little brain into more activity before he gets suckered into TV watching with mommy at night!
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Just wanted to say welcome! I am beginning the homeschool journey with my two sons in the fall (6 1/2 and 9) and have met a lot of nice people on different forums on the Internet who have a wealth of experience with homeschooling. Frank, I also wanted to tell you that I live next door to a man who stays home with his 2 year old son during the day. He works part time as a waiter and is also getting residuals from his time as an insurance agent while his wife works full time. I admire guys like both of you because you're giving your sons amazing role models.
Anyway, as a former teacher myself, I think the best thing for your son right now is to read, read, read to him; use numbers in daily activites; and use concepts like over, under, high, low, and beside while he is playing. And if you live close to any older children that you would think would be a good influence, let him spend time with them. My children have gained alot of patience and guidance with Brendan. And he really looks up to them. I think that part really amazes my older son, and it thrills my husband and I to know that both of them are gaining character building skills at their age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: