Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High mark scoring tips on SAT verbal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testcircle
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: High mark scoring tips on SAT verbal Reply with quote

Hello SAT takers

Do you want to improve you verbal score on SAT? Just use the following tips it may help you.
Tip-1 Try to read as many book as you can. By reading more books you can prepare yourself for reading and understanding what you have read. Reading can help you train yourself to pick apart a story and understand and remember what you have read.
Tip- 2 For better preparation of vocabulary section you should try reading dictionary and try to learn at least 5 new words a day. Learn the spelling and the meaning behind each word. It will really help you assemble more words for your test. There are words guaranteed to be on this test that you have never heard of. So try to learn words that you have never heard of yourself. It will sure help you on the test.
Tip- 3 The next section on SAT is writing. The best way to practice your writing skills is to write an essay on any subject you want or journal at least once a day. It will keep you in practice and it will help to keep you in consistency and it will help improve your sentence structure as well as your grammar. By the time the test draws closer you will have improved on your writing and it can help you also in English class too.
Tip- 4 Now, to improve your vocabulary you can use the word puzzles that you would be found at daily newspapers or magazines etc, this will help you more than other.
Tip- 5 The reading comprehension portions of the test are so long, it would be as an articles of daily newspaper. Train yourself to read news articles, magazines and understand everything of what you have just read. It will be very useful in this section of the SAT.

Good Luck!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading is good for learning vocabulary and grammar patterns and punctuation, but beyond a certain point it's not going to help much with reading comprehension. For that you really need formal study materials of the sort you'll find on the test, so you can try out different strategies and see which works the best. For instance, I've found that it helps to read the questions first, then the text, then answer the questions, since if you know what the questions are in advance, you can pick up the answers as you go.

Learning 5 random dictionary words per day is useless. There are so many words in the English language that even if you learn 5 per day for several years with perfect retention, you'll only end up learning only about 4% of the vocabulary. Moderate difficulty crossword puzzles might help, studying vocabulary lists specifically from the SAT will help a lot more, and learning all the common word roots will perhaps help the most. For instance, if you know that amoral means without morals, then you can guess that atypical means not typical or unusual/abnormal.

Writing practice is certainly good, but you need someone to grade / fix your writing or you may not make much progress in anything except speed.
homescholar
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: High mark scoring tips on SAT verbal Reply with quote

SAT Preparation is all very well and good, but there are also some FUN ways to study vocab! I wrote an article about it last month, and here is the link:

Play Your Way to a Great Vocabulary
http://www.thehomescholar.com/recent-articles/play-your-way-to-a-great-vocabulary.php

I think reading is a wonderful way to expand vocabulary, and writing practice is the best way to get better at writing. But I'm not sure there is just one "right" way to study for the SAT verbal, because all students are different. Puzzles and reading the dictionary would only be a good match for some kids, but not all. And I know that my children loved Latin, but I doubt other kids would find it fun.

Just something to think about!
Blessings,
Lee
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the article is largely just a list of books to buy? Coincidently, with your Amazon referer code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: