Homeschool scheduling advice

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Shelbym
User

Homeschool scheduling advice

Postby Shelbym » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi there,

My husband and I are leaning toward homeschooling our kids in the fall and are currently in the research phase. We have four kids and two would be starting in the fall in grades 2 and Kindergarten. My son currently goes to school in a rural district with a long bus ride and gaps in learning that we are concerned with. We are excited to homeschool but my husband is concerned that I would get overwhelmed with two sets of lessons, two younger kids and a part time job.

My question to the board is how much time people generally spend on lessons per day. I know that it varies but I wasn't sure if most curriculum asked for 6-8 hours or it was more like 4.

Thanks!
Shelby

elliemaejune
User

Re: Homeschool scheduling advice

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Shelbym wrote:Hi there,

My husband and I are leaning toward homeschooling our kids in the fall and are currently in the research phase. We have four kids and two would be starting in the fall in grades 2 and Kindergarten. My son currently goes to school in a rural district with a long bus ride and gaps in learning that we are concerned with. We are excited to homeschool but my husband is concerned that I would get overwhelmed with two sets of lessons, two younger kids and a part time job.

My question to the board is how much time people generally spend on lessons per day. I know that it varies but I wasn't sure if most curriculum asked for 6-8 hours or it was more like 4.

Thanks!

With children as young as yours, I wouldn't expect to spend more than about three hours a day doing formal stuff (actually, much less than that with your younger dc).
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”