Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seriously... Missouri?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krissy_beltonMOmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Seriously... Missouri? Reply with quote

Ok, all I have to do in missouri is....

1. give the school a withdraw letter.. (got a sample, so I already made one)

2. Prepare a daily log that demonstrates 1000 hours (600 of those in the core subjects)

3. Keep the log with a small portfolio of tests and sample work... in case we ever get evaluated/audited...

(however, from what most are saying around here (Kansas city area)... almost no one ever gets audited without some one complaining about their kids being truant and such.)

and that's it... I just keep the portfolio and logs and don't actually have to apply for anything or name my non-profit home school, or anything... just keep the info for a "just in case" scenario...

if that's all true, and some one please verify, then I'm sooo thankful for missouri and love this state!

Thanks... please confirm, so I'm comfy with my direction.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to HSLDA, yup, that's the law.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
tinky wink
User

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and I was just looking at DESE's law too. Honestly, if you dont' go around trash talking the school and it's obvious that you're a responsible parent, you shouldn't have a problem. The school used to refer people to me sometimes and I could always tell who was going to be responsible (the ones who weren't mad at the school!) so the school would leave them alone if I put in a good word for them. Once they did call DFS on a family though, b/c it was a single father raising his kids, but he'd asked me all kinds of questions about microscopes and testing and how do you know they're learning, so DFS and the school left them alone and last I heard, when the kids went back to school they were very much ahead. I just don't think DESE wants the hassle any more than we do, and it's pretty obvious to everyone when people aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

Horror story: I had a cousin who was getting a divorce from his wife and when he went over to her house one day, he found out that the entire HS curriculum was TV and listening to the entire Rush Limbaugh radio program. That wasn't MO though. Smile
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: