Help! Middle School Math!

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jadey
User

Help! Middle School Math!

Postby jadey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi all :)

I am hoping that someone out there can give me suggestions, as I have quite the little problem on my hands where my son's math curriculum should be.

Until three weeks ago, he had been in the public school system in NC as a 7th grader. Due to behavior and learning issues (teacher based) I decided to take him out and begin to homeschool. This is very frustrating to me as a parent and as someone who works in the Public School system (Teaching Assistant) to suddenly find out that my child has no concept of 7th grade math and is failing this late in the school year. Right now, as it stands I do not think he will pass any standardized tests, when I test him next month.

I have been looking at different math curriculum and from what I have read reviews on, I went to the Alpha Omega site to look there. While on the site, I came across their placement tests and have since given them to my son to see where he placed. To my -horror-, not only does he not understand 7th grade math, he placed into 5th grade math!!!!

I assumed he did well in 5th and 6th grade, as he did pass those years! His EOG tests in math were at the marginal level both years.

Now I am left wondering where to start? Do I start all over with 7th grade math or should I step back to 6th grade? (With 5th grade basic reviews) .. please, I need some advice. Thanks in advance!

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:19 am

I say forget about grade level. Go where he needs to go. Some curricula are more intense than others so grade level means nothing.

To preserve his sense of pride, though, you might want to look into curriculum that doesn't go by grade but uses another way of moving children from level to level. Depending on what his learning style is, you might want to look at some of these:

Math Mammoth (blue or green series)
The Key To.. series by key press
Math U See (we use this for a hands on/visual learner)
Saxon (you'll either love it or hate it)
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”