Homeschooling my Baby

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

supermommy
User

Homeschooling my Baby

Postby supermommy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Ramona
User

Re: Homeschooling my Baby

Postby Ramona » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:41 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Re: Homeschooling my Baby

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:49 am

Of course, we are going to be biased and side with you! We are homeschoolers!

In reality, it does not matter what we think; You really need to talk with your husband. Homeschooling does not work well if one spouse is against it. There are many benefits to homeschooling that he may not have considered. You might need to do some fact gathering and present it to him.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 am

I think you need to deeply examine your beliefs if you are using homeschooling to protect your child and "save her" from the "wicked people" around her.

I believe homeschooling should be about exploring your world in a safe manner, yes, but when your sole focus is on protection you need to think about how that will affect your child in aspects of her life - will it create an unnecessary fear of her world? Will she be able to socialize with more than 2-3 people who share the same beliefs? Will she forego her dreams or outside classes because it puts her with "the wicked'?

I don't believe that that is best for a child, and I can certainly see your husband's concerns. Perhaps coming up with a homeschooling plan that takes both your ideals into consideration would be your best choice here. By putting it all on paper, you can see if this will work for your family or create more contention and divide.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:07 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 am

There is of course a difference between not isolating your child, and surrounding your child for 7+ hours a day, 5 days a week with potential bad influences. That should be eased into a little at a time, and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with keeping at least a young child close to you. Kindergarten and first grade are the foundation for everything else, and even just for educational reasons alone, should be done at home.

judyh
User

wise to homeschool young kids

Postby judyh » Thu May 07, 2009 11:00 am

judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”