Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching reading with craft projects and games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSDST8
User

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Teaching reading with craft projects and games? Reply with quote

My son is 4.5 and has a good foundation already. He knows the letters and sounds. He rhymes and loves story time. He's an active boy that loves sports and moving. He's visual, loves to tell jokes, makes picture stories on the computer using clip art, etc.

He really pulls concepts together. We are constantly amazed at the breathe of his knowledge and how he processes info. He's also a math whiz. Counting his money, adding, subtracting...it's actually funny at times when he tells me there should be two more snacks because we started with 5, and he only ate 3. He then wants to know where the missing one went.

So, I would like to work with him on reading/phonics and I'm thinking I can do this through crafts and games. Possible? Ideas?

I'm comfortable doing this with a non-craft program. I'll take suggestions.

Oh, I have access to a teacher learning center. Want me to provide the link to search their database of offerings? I would love if you would tell me books/games/kits I might want to get.

Thanks so much!
Brenda
MSDST8
User

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm trying something... I'm learning Flash to make my own mini programs for my son. I have two words made...Cat and Hat.

It starts off with "at" on the screen, then the C slides in and hits the at. A cat appears and moves from side to side.

The at stays on the screen and an H drops in, it bounces and bumps the at. A hat appears and shakes.

I haven't added sound yet and I have no evidence this will teach him anything. But it's teaching me flash!
Bren
Jill
User

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of books out there that show how to make "reading skills" games from file folders. There may be some websites with free ones too, but I haven't checked on that.

Best wishes!
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reading Ladder Reply with quote

Here's a simple game I did with my 4.5 year old many years ago. We took three blocks, and taped a letter to the top of each block. We drew a ladder on a sheet of cardboard. Then we put one block on each of the bottom three rungs. I placed a raisin on each rung above. If you can picture this, the bottom three rungs might have the letters T, A, M on them. She'd sound them out. "tuh, ah, muh". Then eat the raisin, and move the bottom block - the M - up to the next open rung. Then she'd read that group: "muh, Tu, Ah". Another raisin. Sometimes the three letters would form a word, sometimes not. We tried doing this with matchbox cars on a road we drew on paper, too.

Sometimes she would draw out magnetic letters from a hat, and place them on the magnetic dry-write board. I would have placed only certain letters in there, so she didn't have the whole alphabet. She'd arrange and rearrange the letters to see if she could make a word.

There are dozens of simple, home-made, reading and phonics games you can do!
Lorelei
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like the board game Bananagrams. It's a word game in which lettered tiles are used to spell words. It's been compared to Scrabble but Bananagrams does not require a pencil, paper or board. The object of the game is to arrange your tiles faster than your opponents and be the first to cause the pool of unused tiles to be exhausted. You could easily tweak the game to suit a 4 and half year old or help him to play along with the rest of the family. It can be purchased through www.amazon.com .

-Erica

(Edited to correct spelling error.)
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dd initially learned how to recognise numbers and count through playing bingo Very Happy
MSDST8
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I went to the nearby teacher learning resource center and pick up 3 board games. The first we tried comes with foam letters and cards. The cards have a picture on them and is missing a sound (front, end, blends, etc). After I explained how it went, he did initial consonants and got 100% right. Then we did ending constanants and he got 90% correct. He would say the word, isolate the missing sound and then find the corresponding alphabet.

The next game was sort of the same. It was on a gameboard and you had to find the consonant that matched the one you had. Consonants were in a pile and you had to remember where they were (think of the game concentration). He won that game 3 times (first person around the board).

Third game is actually an activity box with multiple games in it. The game we have played so far requires you to grab objects out of a box. You have a card with 4 words on it and you have to find a rhyming word. (Ex: you grab a fox and you have to read your card. if you have a box present, you notify all players and then get a dot for your card. Once you have all the dots, you win). He did great.

I'm feeling really good... One think I noticed, he will not do well with sight words. He would rather memorize than sound things out. So I will focus on phonics...

Of course he wants to read. He told me he wants to do that more than anything else in the world.. Very Happy
macro_grp02
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Online Games Reply with quote

How about on the net. There are a lot of online games that are free and should be very appropriate for a 4.5. You could also do a lot of games and trips outdoors. You can get the conversation flowing in a park or in a zoo.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some free online games. Check the links under younger students here:

http://www.homeschool-by-design.com/free-online-educational-games.html

for some reading/phonics games.
rhi
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like from your update you've progressed and found some interesting ways for him to learn. I have to admit I'm a strong proponent for phonics over memorization. When my oldest dd was in school they did everything by memorization instead of phonics, my youngest dd went to school and they did everything by phonics in those two kids there are big differences in their learning and how they get anything relating to language arts just because of the two different learning styles.
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on utilising your son's interests to continue making learning as fun as possible. All the examples given are awesome. Well done everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: