Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Schooling and Sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonetocarolina
User

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Home Schooling and Sports Reply with quote

My husband has agreed to let me homeschool our son for a few years but he insists that he wants him to be involved in sports when he gets older, and school is the only way to do this, especially in high school. Is this necessarily true? Any of you homeschool your sons and also have them on sports teams?

Thanks.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Schooling and Sports Reply with quote

We've been a part of the neighborhood swim team for some time, and one of my brothers was in the local high school swim team (Rockwood, which happens to be nationally ranked). That's about the limit of our team sports, however. None of us were ever really interested in football, baseball, basketball, etc, though we have done a lot of Tae Kwon Do, and Civil Air Patrol involves quite a bit of PT (mile runs, shuttle run, and so on) and has physical competition as well as educational when all the squadrons get together.

If you want to do sports outside of the local schools, I suggest checking with the homeschool groups in your area to see if any of them offer sports. Even if they don't, you could always organize a sports team yourself. And the following organizations offer homeschool sports in NC:

http://www.christiancommunitysports.com
http://www.homeschoolcrusaders.net
http://www.cheagd.org/cheagd/athletics/region8.cfm

Last edited by Theodore on Sun May 21, 2006 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
hbmom36
User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7 year old daughter does Karate, and both my children swim. When they are old enough, both will join the swim team. In my area, there are also soccer teams available through the city. There are plenty of sports teams available to children-most are NOT through the schools.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in a rural area that supports sports teams like baseball and and basketball. THis is not through the school. When Highschool comes, if the child wants they can usually go out for sports in the school system and if they have been in sports all along, they will know other children on the same team. If that doesn't work there are other teams that are in the "city". You have to pay a fee, but if the child is good, they can play.
Ask around, maybe there are leagues in the area. He could also play with adults, when he is in Highschool.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
leadingmom
User

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two sons that play spring soccer with AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization) They are a nation wide group and not part of the schools.

Also all of our family does things with the local YMCA. It is a christian based organization and had some work to become involved at our local college, but it passed and you can join swim events as well as basketball, volleyball and more.

There are many options out there, call your local Recreation Department and see what they offer. I do agree that sports is great for kids to get exercise.
Also check your local University Extention office. 4-H offers many programs for youth. Some include sports!

God Bless,
Ruftybear
User

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 13 year old daughter has been doing karate for over 3 years. We are fortunate that the dojo she goes to organises some great social activities as well as the sporting aspect. They have everything from teen socials to holiday camps, and many of the children are friends outside the dojo as well. My daughter has made some lovely friend there. She also teaches, so that adds to her confidence and is another type of learning for her.

This is the only thing she is interested in at present, but she is there 4 or 5 days a week, so that is probably enough at the moment.

She also did squad swimming for 5 years, but didn't like the social side of it. She found that there wasn't time to talk or make a lot of friends.

There are lots of great sports which don't have to be done at school. Maybe your husband could look into it a little more.
homeschooledguy
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: sports and having fun Reply with quote

I played baseball and basketball on homeschool leauges in highschool. It was good fun and focused more on having fun and learning the sport than on extreme competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: