California: Who do I have to inform of intent?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MelodyB
User

California: Who do I have to inform of intent?

Postby MelodyB » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:49 am

I have kept my ds (4th grade) in public school for too long and now realize I must home school him. It is mid year and I'm not sure who I inform and how I go about it. I know that I need to file an affidavit in October. Is this still available mid year? Do I just file this with the state or do I have to inform the superintendent of the local school district or the superintendent of schools for the county? If I need to inform either superintendent, how do I do so? Is there a form I need to send?

I have my teaching credential in the state of California. Does this effect what I need to do? Should I just request independent study for this year and home school next year?

Thank you for any and all information. It is appreciated!

elliemaejune
User

Re: California: Who do I have to inform of intent?

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:27 pm

MelodyB wrote:I have kept my ds (4th grade) in public school for too long and now realize I must home school him. It is mid year and I'm not sure who I inform and how I go about it. I know that I need to file an affidavit in October. Is this still available mid year? Do I just file this with the state or do I have to inform the superintendent of the local school district or the superintendent of schools for the county? If I need to inform either superintendent, how do I do so? Is there a form I need to send?

I have my teaching credential in the state of California. Does this effect what I need to do? Should I just request independent study for this year and home school next year?

Thank you for any and all information. It is appreciated!

You can still file an affidavit in the middle of the year. I filed the first time in April.

Your R-4 is filed with the state. Back in the day, the form was several copies, one being sent to the county office of education and to your specific school district as well as being kept in Sacramento. Now...I don't know how that happens, but it doesn't matter.

Here's the link to file your R-4: http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/rq/ap/form.asp?formtype=blank

Having a credential does not affect what you want to do.

Because you request independent study does not mean you can get it.

You will need to file again next fall.

The correct designation of what you're doing is that your dc will be enrolled in a private school. Technically, the law does not recognize "homeschooling," even though there's that great court decision from last fall that said that homeschools were the equivalent of private schools. Technically, your dc will be enrolled in a private school.

IMHO, you should file your affidavit, *then* notify the school that your dc will be withdrawn and enrolled in a private school. You should also request his cum files (they are yours, after all).
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Homeschool Law”