Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtual Music Lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Surveys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you opt to use online music lessons for music curriculum requirements?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Perhaps, if affordable
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Perhaps, if it had a large instrument instructor base
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

737anne
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Virtual Music Lessons Reply with quote

I'm doing my doctorate in music education, e-learning technology. I need to get some research data for one of my studies. Would you mind taking a moment and providing me with a little input on how you fulfill your music education requirements...
Has anyone used a virtual school of music service for music lessons for their HSers? (not dvds, but real teacher to student lessons).
Secondly, as a HS parent, what would be the selling points for letting your HSer take online music lessons?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The selling points, if this worked for us, would be, no driving to ANOTHER activity, (being so unsocialized Smile), another perk, hopefully would it be cheaper, and more than one child could potentially take a lesson at the same time.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would use something like this. I, as an instrumentalist, wouldn't have done well with lessons that were virtual. I needed that teacher there to be able to position my hands right or put my finger where it should be or help me position my instrument, or how to hold my bow, or how to stand. I think there is a lot to be said about being taught by an actual live person who is standing in the room with you. Even if you can see the person on the screen doing it, if your parent doesn't understand either then there is no one to actually position your body, hands, fingers, or instrument. You just have to do the best you can by watching someone else on a screen and hope you are getting it right. Even if you have a webcam and they can see you too while you are taking the lesson it isn't the same as having someone who is able to actually watch over your shoulder or walk around you watching and listening while you play. The internet has a lot of great uses but I really think that this just isn't one of them, but that is just my opinion.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to answer the first part of your question...I teach my kids music theory and how to play the stringed instrument or instruments of their choice (violin, viola, cello, bass) and they take piano lessons from their Grandmother (yes, I know that is a stringed instrument but I can't play it that well). Music has always been big in my house though. I have been playing since I was seven and before I moved I played in a Symphony Orchestra. My children used to come to rehearsals and my husband always brought them to my concerts so that experience was part of their education too. I don't buy any special curriculum I get free stuff online and use my own personal knowledge. It seems to work for my kids.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is where I have an advantage. The only thing I learned during my senior year was how to play everyone's instruments in the band. I may not be proficient enough to teach, but I can tell when they aren't holding, or positioned correctly. So maybe this would be great for parents who have some musical ability but can't take all the time to do it themselves.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
737anne
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's interesting to hear your responses on the continual need for actual hands-on teaching even though the visual and auditory teaching is present with online learning. I look forward to hear any other comments/posts.
groovyhsmama
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love this oppurtunity. I can play a keyboard/piano and would love it if the kids knew how to read music and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Surveys All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: