high school senior slow reader

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

redcrayola
User

high school senior slow reader

Postby redcrayola » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I recently realized that my teen, who is a senior this year, is a very slow reader! She is not getting her assignments read and falls behind because of her speed.

She has just begun taking a reading rate class at a local college, and she tested at only 135 words per minute. No wonder she takes so long to read everything!

I am really hoping that this class will help her speed up. Has anyone had a similar problem? What would you recommend?

By the way, her comprehension and vocabulary scores were 97% - 99%, so it is just the speed that's the problem

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm

I'm guessing from her accuracy that she has the proper basis in phonics and isn't just sight reading. Have you had her sight tested? Does she have dyslexia? Is she hyperactive and losing concentration? Is there anything in her diet (or not in her diet) that might contribute to a lack of energy / concentration?

If there's nothing functionally wrong with her and she's just slow, then she needs practice. Find her a book series she'll enjoy reading on her own and leave her to it. Speed reading classes are all very well, but you have to be motivated and put invest a fair amount of time to make use of the techniques.

Return to “High School / College Prep”