Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling in America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you plan on homeschooling through the college years?
yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
no
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

homeschoollearningcenter
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Homeschooling in America Reply with quote

Hello,

Thought it would be a nice idea to have a board to list the reasons WHY we homeschool. Feel free to comment and maybe elaborate further.

Myself a main reason I homeschool 3 kids, although sometimes I queston why, lol, is the freedom. The freedom to follow our own schedule and desires to build and create an incredible life. I myself find that the main idea flow in general followed by mainstream does not allow one to grow individually and the mindset is to follow the crowd. And IMO, sometimes that crowd follows one thought and does so without thinking.. (i.e. current elections)

Take care and God Bless.

The American Dream 2009 Blog at
http://americandream2009.blogspot.com

Complete Online Degree Information at
http://americandream2009.angelfire.com/o.html
rhi
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started homeschooling because I don't like our local middle school, it's turned into something we just love and really took too. Now my dd who's in 8th grade that can go to the ps hs if she wants to doesn't. I'm fine with that. I love hmsing, it's turned our life upside down at times but for the better. My kids are thriving. And it's wonderful. I want to hs my youngest for Kindergarten but my dh wants him to go for at least that. We'll see.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to homeschool because I love teaching our kids. We finally started because we were having a few issues with our second oldest in public school. Now I wouldn't be able to quit homeschooling because of the FREEDOM.
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Why We homeschooled Reply with quote

At first, we chose to pull our kids out of public school because they weren't learning. We had four kids - two in school, one ready for kindergarten and a baby. Our first was labeled "delayed" and tracked into remedial reading- although she was reading far above grade level at home. (She had poor spelling skills, not poor reading skills). My second was labeled "gifted" and sent to special enrichment classes that he hated. My third was labeled "emotionally disturbed" because she didn't want to cooperate with the school nurse during the hectic preschool screening day. We figured PS was messing up our kids pretty awful, we couldn't possibly do worse!

But later, we chose to stay with HS because it is a great way to build family. My kids became best friends for each other. They bonded. They learned to be considerate and kind. They learned to think about others. They learned so much that they couldn't learn in PS. All of my kids plan to HS their own children, when the time comes.
Matt Conrad
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We homeschool because we enjoy it, our kids enjoy it, and we think it is good for the kids.

Schools, in my opinion, are not really much about learning or raising kids up to be capable and responsible adults. They're first about obedience and second about correctly following instructions. There's a place for both, but it doesn't need to be the majority of my kids' childhoods.

Also, homeschooling just fits with the kind of life we want to lead. The common pattern of everyone-leaves-the-house-all-day-for-work-or-school and then come home for dinner (maybe) doesn't feel very nice to us. Of course, some of our friends think we're crazy too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: