Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting fed up - need to vent!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Country3Mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Getting fed up - need to vent! Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking of homeschooling my kids that I am thinking of doing it this coming fall. I have 3 kids - a boy 8 years old, a girl 5 year old, and another girl 2 years old.

The real challenge kid is my 8 year old son. First, may I vent ? I hate my kids' school !!! Mad I am getting mad with the way they run the system.

My 8 year old son has a LD and ADD. My husband and I also strongly believe he has some characteristics of CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) although he has already been tested by the school, and they said he does not have processing issues. However, after doing so much research on the internet, I really believe he does have some characteristics of it. He is in 2nd grade, and is currently getting help with a special ed teacher aide that comes in his class to help him with the one on one work. After trying many ways to get our son the help he needed to focus on school such as food change, going through 12 weeks Learning RX program, using auditory trainer (in 1st grade), my mom pleaded with me to get him on medication. I really did not want to, but we had tried every thing else and I felt I just could not wait for him to environmentally get better, my husband and I agreed to put him on a trial medication to see if it would help him with his attention. We noticed a dramatic improvedment in him with his handwriting, his ability to be patient, being able to stay on task, etc. however, we are having a major problem with his sleep issue. Even prior to putting him on medication, he was ALWAYS having sleep issues. I've tried rewards, motivators, punishment, etc. you name it - nothing is working. It is a battle. A couple of weeks ago, I received a generated letter from his school stating that he has been tardy to gettting to school 6 times already, and that he has 4 more chances before we (the parents) are fined $500 !!! I just lost it right there. I was so mad that I went to the school why it was necessary to send me this letter. My son had been late at least once or twice each month for various reasons such as struggling to get a lock on his bike, getting up late, etc. At first, I couldn't understand why his younger sister didn't get any thing because they were always together when they went to school. The secretary had kept track of each tardy and had a note each of it. The school counselor met with me when I wanted to go see the principal, and she assured me it was "fixable", but still I really did not like the idea that I have 4 more chances left through the remaining school year or we are fined $500. I was in tears this morning because I was having a hard time this mroning with my son getting him to move. I saw a post here someone saying their child is super super super slow, and that's exactly what my son is like. I mean the school is basically just right across the street and it should not take that much time for him to get up and get ready. I wake him up at 6 a.m. most mornings, but after waking up, he just sits on his bed like a sitting duck, then he makes his bed, sits for a while, then gets dressed, sits for a while, then puts his socks and shoes, sits for a while. This whole process can take him up to 45 minutes to an hour. I don't want to get up at 5 a.m. to give him more time to waste! His 5 year old sister gets all done in less than 20 minutes.

I've been researching on homeschooling, for about a month now, and thought I would wait till the fall to do this, but with my son's sleeping issues, and trying to get him ready to go out the door by 7:25 a.m., it is getting too stressful for me. I am not a morning person either. I bought 5 different books on homeschooling: So you're thinking about homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel (wonderful book!), Homeschooling methods, A Mom just like You by Vicki Farris (wonderful book too!), Homeschooling the challenging child. Now I am even more tempted to jump start homeschooling maybe after spring break, but at the same time, I am a little nervous about not having the right curriculum for my son and daughter. and speech therapy (for expressive speech) that he needs. My husband says he thinks I should wait till the fall so I can take the time to research on the internet and ask questions with the lcoal homeschoolers, but I just feel that the sleep issue my son has is really putting a lot on stress on me. My husband and I also went to a homeschool meeting two weeks ago to listen to someone who had taught homeschool for over 20 years - we both really enjoyed the speaker very much.

If I should pull out my son out of school, how do I inform the school? I'ma little nervous about that plus my mom used to work as an early childhood teacher's aide and has worked in the school system for many years. She seem to think homeschool would be too hard for me because I am hearing-impaired (I can speak well), and I have health issues whcih is under control. I have friends who all support this idea and know I can do it.

I'd appreciate any feedbacks Smile
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual method is to mail a Letter of Intent to the school superintendent (certified mail, just in case), as well as letting your son's teachers know you're pulling him out so there's no confusion regarding truancy. Further requirements depend on what state you're in, there may be things like recordkeeping and yearly standardized testing.

Regarding the hearing problem, can't you just use a hearing aid while teaching your son? Hearing aids have been miniaturized to the point where they're relatively small and inexpensive, it's not like you have to walk around with an ear trumpet Smile
Country3Mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Texas. Hearing aid doesn't work for me, thanks for the suggestion though. I lip read most of the time with people I know well, but use sign language as my main method of communication. I also have bilateral cochlear implant, but am not using them since I don't like them very well, and it is too stimulating for me. I don't wish to go into further details since it is a long story, but point is, hearing aids/cochlear implant isn't the issue to teach a child. I have a Deaf friend who homeschools her children and has been doing that for the last 10 years. I have a BA college degree (in Deaf Studies). My son and I sometimes have communication issues because he has a hard time remembering signs, and his memory is very poor. My 5 year old and 2 year old are pretty fluent signers. But, my son has to be reminded over and over.

My question was just to see how do I go from here to get homeschool started if I do decide to start earlier like after spring break in March. I just also found out that there will be a parent-teacher's conference for me to meet with my son's and daughter's teacher on Feb. 17th. I'm wondernig do I bring up the possibility of homeschooling or do I wait when I decide to pull out? I may just let my daughter stay in the school system till the end of the year since she is doing well, and just pull out only my son.
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Country3Mom,

First off, >>hugs<< to you for dealing with the school system. It can be a major pain. One of the many 'last straws' for me when deciding to homeschool my kids was when we got a letter saying if my son missed one more day of school I would have to appear before a judge for turancy!!! My son was sick for goodness sake! And a doctor is not always needed. A mother knows when her child should be kept at home.

As for your home state I don't know the rules for pulling them out of school off hand but you can probally find out here

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

If it were me I would pull him out as soon as I legally could. You can always research while you homeschool. I've been doing this for 2 years now and I'm still figureing things out. It may save you a trip to court and make life easier in the meantime.

I homeschool all 3 of my children. My oldest 2 are complete oppisites. But both excel now that they are home. My son had trouble accidemicaly in school partly because of this tourettes syndrome. My daughter was a perfect straight A student. So, it doesn't always have to be just the one kid having trouble that does well at homeschool.

And as far as your hearing disability. I say it's no biggie. I mean, you've raised your kids this far haven't you? Where there is a will there is a way! I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Good luck to you!!
Country3Mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Miss Kristy. I appreciate your feedback. It helps to know your experience Smile
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country3Mom wrote:
I'm in Texas. ..

My question was just to see how do I go from here to get homeschool started if I do decide to start earlier like after spring break in March. I just also found out that there will be a parent-teacher's conference for me to meet with my son's and daughter's teacher on Feb. 17th. I'm wondernig do I bring up the possibility of homeschooling or do I wait when I decide to pull out? I may just let my daughter stay in the school system till the end of the year since she is doing well, and just pull out only my son.

In Texas, it's really easy to homeschool. You need to send a letter withdrawing your child from school. From then on there is no reporting, testing, record keeping or any other requirements.

You can find out everything you need to know here:
http://www.thsc.org/defaultpage.asp

We met the president of the organization linked to above at a homeschool convention, and he is a really nice, genuine individual. We're members of the organization, and since your son was formerly in school you may want to join for a year or so in case you run into any opposition from school officials.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: