Night School

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Night School

Postby Miss_Kristy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Ok, so it's not really night school but is sure feels like it! LOL

This week I've started a new routine around my house. Since it gets dark outside now at 5:00 pm and it's too cold for the neighbor kids to play, I've decided to start school at 2:00 pm and go until 4:30ish.

The last 2 days have been sooooooo much better!!! I'm not running around in the morning trying to get everything done in time, the kids don't have to break for lunch, the 3 yr. old is calmed down. All is well!!

We aren't getting "more" done, but we are getting a better quality homeschooling experience.

Just wanted to share.

Postby rhi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:49 pm

I'll have to try this when my oldest dd is done with basketball practice because it seems now once we get started with stuff then it's time to pack up and get her up to the school for basketball practice.

Postby Golabfamily » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Hello Miss_Kristy,

We do similar to you, we don't do school work early in the day as this is when the kids prefer to play or just hang around. We found that by allowing them to do more study later in the day when they prefer it, we get a better quality homeschool experience as well as better quality work and in the end more done.. the children are happier, we are happier and at the end of the day that same amount of learning or more is achieved.

However in our house learning can often be done from 2pm to 10pm! depending on whats happening and how it fits into our daily schedule.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”