Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School Methods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nungi
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: School Methods Reply with quote

My son isn't actually due until July 14th, 2006 but my husband is already not thrilled wiith the idea of public school. So I've spent all day today on this website and several others getting all the information on HS I can find. Here in Florida your don't have to start HS until the child is 6. But I wanted to start earlier like a pre-k program. Here's my question... Do most people do a year-round program or is the "tradtional" method better? Also does anyone know a place to figure out what the State standards of what your child must learn in each grade? I know I'm crazy for wanting to know all this a head of time but I like to plan a head! Very Happy

Thanks,
Val
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: School Methods [FL] Reply with quote

I don't know of a site that lists standards for all the states, but the following site should tell you what you need to know regarding your state:

http://www.firn.edu/doe/curric/prek12/frame2.htm

As for "traditional" vs year-round, year-round is better imho because:

1) You can do less per day
2) You get more done per year
3) There isn't a large gap of time during which you conveniently forget everything you learned the year before

Of course, you might take out a few weeks for special things like vacation or visiting a relative or attending a homeschool convention, and any outside classes will still follow a semester schedule, but overall you'll just spread things out more. The amount of homework each child has to complete per day, even in the later grades, shouldn't require more than 2-3 hours, leaving most of the day free for fun things and extracurriculars.
SOPHIE
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: traditional vs year round hs Reply with quote

I agree with Theodore. I believe schooling year round is a good idea. The only downfall that I found with that was the peer response to my girls' schedule, when their friends, who mostly are public school educated, would comment on having the summer off and wonder why they didn't. My eldest was very much effected by the opinion of her peers and still is. I believe that learning should be active part of life and an enjoyable one at that!
Nungi
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yall for the input. I had liked the year around idea better as well. I was homeschooled for 5 years but due to my parents' missionary work my school was always different. I was wondering what most people liked better. And thanks Theodore for the website!
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a combo of traditional and "Unschooling" approaches. The idea is that education can happen anywhere AND we need to be disciplined sometimes in our studies really appeals to me.

I did an article on Unschooling in my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/SupComTabz/100727/
easyhomeschooling
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Looking Waaaaay Ahead Reply with quote

Hi Val,

We actually decided to homeschool before any of my children were born. It is a good thing that you are doing your research now! From birth to about age 5 the very best thing to do is to read to your child, along with always responding, expecially when he/she begins talking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: