Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9th Grade Curriculum~Help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roo
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: 9th Grade Curriculum~Help!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My oldest dd is joining us in the fall in homeschooling, she will be in the 9th grade and I'm lost when it comes to curriculum for math and science...

I like using saxon math for my 4 and 5th graders but I've heard the Algebra 1 in Saxon was harder to teach..I just took Pre-Algebra in College so I know something about Algebra but I'm going back and forth between Saxon and Abeka's Algebra.... Any Advice??

For her science, I was looking at Abeka but then Apologia has the lab kit so that interests me...as I don't have a Bunson Burner and such...and it looks like the kit contains what she would need for her labs....Any Advice??

Thanks!
Kelly
2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!
Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Saxon all the way Reply with quote

I LOVE Saxon math. I used a wide variety of math programs for my four children, over a span of twelve years. They all have good points, but you just can't beat Saxon math. I should also mention that while I have a college degree, math is NOT my strong suit. But the upper level Saxon books explain things so clearly, and you can buy the solutions manual that solves each problem. I started doing the problems before my kids did, and I was actually learning math! But I didn't have time to keep up. My kids managed to learn on their own just fine. They did Saxon Algebra 1, 2, Saxon Physics, and one more book, something about "Advanced Math" but don't remember the exact title of it. Three of my four went on to college, and all placed out of taking the math requirement.

John Saxon developed the Saxon books backwards - writing a college level text first, then the high school books, then younger and younger, and the kindergarten package last. He wrote the books to have 170 lessons, because it fits the school calendar, with about ten days for testing. Each lesson is complete - it thoroughly explains one tiny bit of new information. There are practice problems to see if the student understands the new bit. Then there is an assignment of between 25 and 30 problems. It is imperative that the student DO THEM ALL, not just the evens or just a few here and there.

On the assignment, five problems are the new thing taught. Five are what was taught yesterday. The rest are review of anything taught previously. If your child didn't understand today's concept, he might still "pass" the assignment, with 20/25 correct. PRoblems arise when school districts get lazy, and only assign a few of the problems, and children don't get the daily review so necessary to mastering mathematics.

Stick with Saxon. You'll be glad you did! <G>. Oh, and the research shows that kids who do Saxon math score very well on SAT and ACT exams.
mschickie
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution guides help alot. If you are still not certain you can get the D.I.V.E. cd's. Sd has really liked the Saxon high school math. She loves the constant reinforcement and the slow building. We will be doing Saxon Calculus next year. Anothe option for you might be Teaching Textbooks. I have heard that they are really great and work nice if you are uncomfortable with upper level math.
pavlova
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: math Reply with quote

Do you think Saxon math would be useful for uk based curriculums for gcse?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Math up through Algebra I or II is pretty much practice, practice, practice. The concepts aren't -that- difficult or numerous, they just require a lot of rote instruction. Once you get up to Advanced Math, Calculus, etc., however, you may need something a little more creative and less repetition-based than Saxon. I used a college Calculus textbook for Calculus I and II, and took a course at the local community college (does the UK have an equivalent?) for Calculus III. In retrospect, I would probably have enjoyed Calculus I and II a lot more at the community college as well.
RShaw27
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Saxon all the way Reply with quote

HI! This is my 2nd year to homeschool. Last year we went full Abeka...can't this year. We are doing Saxon with my 9th and 5th grader..so far so good. We are about to start week #3 with our new math.

MY neighbor has her boys do the all practice and then the evens on the problem sets..if they get below an 85% then they have to correct and do the odds. sounded good to me, so that is what I am having my boys do.....you suggest them do it all?

Also we just have the DIVE to go with it and it seems to be just fine..I am now hearing about the teacher CD? Can you share more on that? Thanks!

Rebecca

Lorelei Sieja wrote:
I LOVE Saxon math. I used a wide variety of math programs for my four children, over a span of twelve years. They all have good points, but you just can't beat Saxon math. I should also mention that while I have a college degree, math is NOT my strong suit. But the upper level Saxon books explain things so clearly, and you can buy the solutions manual that solves each problem. I started doing the problems before my kids did, and I was actually learning math! But I didn't have time to keep up. My kids managed to learn on their own just fine. They did Saxon Algebra 1, 2, Saxon Physics, and one more book, something about "Advanced Math" but don't remember the exact title of it. Three of my four went on to college, and all placed out of taking the math requirement.

John Saxon developed the Saxon books backwards - writing a college level text first, then the high school books, then younger and younger, and the kindergarten package last. He wrote the books to have 170 lessons, because it fits the school calendar, with about ten days for testing. Each lesson is complete - it thoroughly explains one tiny bit of new information. There are practice problems to see if the student understands the new bit. Then there is an assignment of between 25 and 30 problems. It is imperative that the student DO THEM ALL, not just the evens or just a few here and there.

On the assignment, five problems are the new thing taught. Five are what was taught yesterday. The rest are review of anything taught previously. If your child didn't understand today's concept, he might still "pass" the assignment, with 20/25 correct. PRoblems arise when school districts get lazy, and only assign a few of the problems, and children don't get the daily review so necessary to mastering mathematics.

Stick with Saxon. You'll be glad you did! <G>. Oh, and the research shows that kids who do Saxon math score very well on SAT and ACT exams.

Lorelei Sieja
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Saxon all the way Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner... I forgot about this forum, and haven't checked my messages! So now I'm trying to catch up. Anyway, if you're still interested...

Yes, with Saxon Math, success DEPENDS on doing all the math problems.

The system was designed that way.
Most math books have forty or fifty problems, all on the "new" thing that is taught. Then it makes sense to skip half of them.

But Saxon Math was designed to be only 5 problems on the "new" thing, and 5 problems on yesterday's "new" thing... then the other 15 - 20 problems are all review. Review is important, critical even, to math success. And if you cut out every other problem, you may be cutting out the review that is most needed. Also, if your child does all the problems, he should be just about guaranteed an "A".

That's my opinion, based on my experience, and on having met John Saxon years ago, and hearing him discuss this program.

Lorelei
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistically speaking, you're still going to get about half the review problems for each type of problem if you only do every other problem. And if you have an aptitude for math, doing every problem is just a waste of time.

Given, this is for Algebra and up, where the problems can take some time to solve. Elementary math is pretty much just drill and you can crank through that in far less time per set, so you may as well just do every problem. It's as much about memorizing your basic math facts as learning concepts.
heidijo
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love Apologia Science so I don't think you can go wrong there. You might also think about using Supercharged Science which is an online science program that has all kinds of experiments on video in each of their units. My son and I love watching the experiments. Then if we decide to do them ourselves, we know how it's supposed to be done. If we don't have the supplies, then it's nice to be able to watch a science video without having to gather all the supplies. I have a review of this program on my site.
mathops1
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Algebra Curriculum Reply with quote

Why don't you try out the free lessons on Mathops.com. There is a full years worth of algebra curriculum. Just click on the Free Lessons button in the upper right hand corner. If you get stuck on something send me an email at mathops2@gmail.com.
coronahs
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ds15 that used Saxon and it was way too much review- good but over done from a work stand point. I looked for other options to prevent "burn out" and came across TabletClass Math really good video based program working great for my ds.
itsrks
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add Kahn Academy to whatever curriculum you decide on. There is a way to set it up to keep records and get online incentive rewards etc. They have both math and science. It's free.
snippets
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: 9th Grade Curriculum Help Reply with quote

I am not a fan of Abeka, but I do love Apologia for science. I agree that Khan Academy is helpful.

Have you looked around Let's Homeschool High School? They have a directory of providers, articles, and a forum. You might find them very helpful. I think they are going to add reviews soon. They had a survey asking if we (members) were interested.

Joyfully,
Jackie
www.quaintscribbles.wordpress.com
www.3dlearners.blogspot.com

My fave homeschool high school site:
www.letshomeschoolhighschool.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: