Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for year round online schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KR
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: looking for year round online schooling Reply with quote

Hi we have our daughter in k12. Its working out great,we love the program. The problem with it is you have to do a normal school year. When she completes one year of schooling she has to wait till fall to start the next year. My question is this is there any online programs that will let her start the next year as soon as she is finished with a current year. Our end goal is to have her done with basic college by 18.
All suggestions and information will be helpful. thanks
KR
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I would have thought there was something out there.
Any advise would be great,I would even consider a good private online program. Thanks
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for year round online schooling Reply with quote

KR wrote:
Hi we have our daughter in k12. Its working out great,we love the program. The problem with it is you have to do a normal school year. When she completes one year of schooling she has to wait till fall to start the next year. My question is this is there any online programs that will let her start the next year as soon as she is finished with a current year. Our end goal is to have her done with basic college by 18.
All suggestions and information will be helpful. thanks

Well, actually, isn't she enrolled in a public charter school that provides K12? If so, that's your problem, not K12. You could buy K12 yourself and do it any way you wanted; it's the public school enrollment that's the issue.

There may be some on-line curriculum that you can do any time you want, but you'd have to purchase them, and some can be very pricey.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
KR
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I really didn't think about it. I asked k12 about options for what we want to do several times,and even though they have been fine on most things they pretty much just said they were like regular school and didn't have any advise on it.

As you can tell were pretty new at this. I know what were wanting to do with our children were just trying to figure out how to get it done.

thanks for the reply, any and all info is appreciated.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KR wrote:
You know I really didn't think about it. I asked k12 about options for what we want to do several times,and even though they have been fine on most things they pretty much just said they were like regular school and didn't have any advise on it.

As you can tell were pretty new at this. I know what were wanting to do with our children were just trying to figure out how to get it done.

thanks for the reply, any and all info is appreciated.

What is the name of the virtual charter school your dd is enrolled in? I'm pretty sure you have been talking with someone at the charter school, not someone at K12 (although if you contact K12 on-line, you will be referred to a charter school in your state, if it's available).

You know, you don't have to do that. Indiana has an excellent homeschool law, which doesn't require you to be accountable to anyone. You'll be responsible for buying your own instructional materials, but you'll have all the freedom in the world to teach your children the way you want to.
JamBabyVA
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k12 does have a private school option. You buy the curriculum and oay monthly for the online tools (I was quoted $548 for the grade curriculum and $94 a month for the online tools). Once you are done with the current grade you just pay the $548 for the next school year's curriculum.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamBabyVA wrote:
k12 does have a private school option. You buy the curriculum and oay monthly for the online tools (I was quoted $548 for the grade curriculum and $94 a month for the online tools). Once you are done with the current grade you just pay the $548 for the next school year's curriculum.

There's the difference: you are paying for it. Most of the time when we have these conversations, we are actually talking about the public charter school, where people enroll their children in the charter school (i.e., Oklahoma Virtual Academy, or Texas Virtual Academy, or whatever), and they get K12 free of charge; their children are public school students and are subject to public school requirements. People why buy K12 and enroll their dc in the private school option must still comply with any homeschool laws in their state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: