Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kivey105
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Newbie Here! Reply with quote

Not only am I new to the group, I am new to homeschooling. We pulled my 2nd grade son out of public school this year. We live in rural Colorado so support systems are few & far between. Right now our biggest challenge is finding a way to allow him to adjust to this new normal while still meeting the minimum contact hours required by our state. It's really stressing me out which isn't helping him at all. Any advice is welcome! Thanks.
MommaJean64
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Just do your best :) Reply with quote

I'm new to homeschooling, too, although I'm in California. My daughter is in 5th grade. She was doing OK in school (average, with occasional sparks of above average), but she wasn't thriving in that environment.We ended up getting Switched on Schoolhouse by Alpha Omega because she's pretty computer literate and a visual/hands on learner. Book work is a nightmare for her. Even homework at our house was a struggle. Hated dragging her through it every afternoon. So I have hopes that this year will be good. Lots of praying going on, especially after today. I worked through what our weekly schedule will look like and I got a bit overwhelmed. I'm pretty laid back, so seeing the schedule I came up with was an eye opener. I think a few extras are gonna' have to go.

I'm sorry you don't have a lot of support groups in your area. Hopefully, this forum will help you. We live in Central California and the homeschool community here is pretty active. I still get the "are you insane?" question every once in awhile, which is why I don't just tell anybody what we're doing.

What I keep reminding myself is that I am doing my best and God will do the rest. I know that sounds cliche, but it's the best I've got and it's not so bad, either.

Take care and lets keep in touch.
Paula (aka, MommaJean64)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: